When to update with negative information Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
remainsofthebay

New

When to update with negative information

Post by remainsofthebay » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

So.... I was in Phoenix last weekend and I got a DUI. It's zero tolerance over there, I blew a 0.04 which is half the legal limit in most places, but not in Arizona. I'm planning on getting an attorney and pleading not guilty, and it should take a while to all shake out. Is there any reason to update schools at this point when I'm not even sure I'll be convicted? Although, i'm not optimistic either.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: When to update with negative information

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm

remainsofthebay wrote:So.... I was in Phoenix last weekend and I got a DUI. It's zero tolerance over there, I blew a 0.04 which is half the legal limit in most places, but not in Arizona. I'm planning on getting an attorney and pleading not guilty, and it should take a while to all shake out. Is there any reason to update schools at this point when I'm not even sure I'll be convicted? Although, i'm not optimistic either.
It depends on each school to which you applied and what their language on C&F is.

For example, Harvard asks, "Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to, any felony or misdemeanor..." whereas Yale asks "Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a felony or misdemeanor, or are there any criminal charges pending against you?" For Yale, you would have to tell them. Harvard, it would not appear so based on this wording.

Edit: Oh, and all the applications have instructions that say if any of your answers to the C&F questions would change between submission and matriculation, you have to inform them immediately.

Edit 2: Those are some strict DUI laws... I'll make sure to look those things up before traveling because I had assumed it was .08 everywhere

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

remainsofthebay wrote:So.... I was in Phoenix last weekend and I got a DUI. It's zero tolerance over there, I blew a 0.04 which is half the legal limit in most places, but not in Arizona. I'm planning on getting an attorney and pleading not guilty, and it should take a while to all shake out. Is there any reason to update schools at this point when I'm not even sure I'll be convicted? Although, i'm not optimistic either.
Whoa, that's a strict law; but I think I like it. You're saying that even a person of legal drinking age cannot drink and drive to any extent?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm

LexLeon wrote:
Whoa, that's a strict law; but I think I like it. You're saying that even a person of legal drinking age cannot drink and drive to any extent?
In Arizona they can assume you have been driving for the past two hours and work backward to figure out what your BAC was when you theoretically got in the car at that time. But I lived there for several years and never heard of anyone actually getting a full blown DUI for this.

remainsofthebay

New

Post by remainsofthebay » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
In Arizona they can assume you have been driving for the past two hours and work backward to figure out what your BAC was when you theoretically got in the car at that time. But I lived there for several years and never heard of anyone actually getting a full blown DUI for this.
Yep. NOT the place to visit. Pretty upset that I went to visit some friends, volunteered to drive us all home since I was by far the most sober (0.04!!). Didn't realize I was compromising my future. Live and learn, I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Colorado is .05, but with none of that working backward shit.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:58 pm

I would probably update after they render a final decision on you, but others might disagree with me. The safest option is to update ASAP.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Bad news rarely gets better with time.

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Were you underage? Usually "zero tolerance" indicates being underage at the time (i.e. Under 21, BAC over 0.00 = Zero Tolerance). I would definitely fight that. Their DUI law says 0.08 unless you're driving a commercial vehicle with a CDL. Then it's 0.04.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/01381.htm

ETA: Yes. Tell the schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

westie25 wrote:Were you underage? Usually "zero tolerance" indicates being underage at the time (i.e. Under 21, BAC over 0.00 = Zero Tolerance). I would definitely fight that. Their DUI law says 0.08 unless you're driving a commercial vehicle with a CDL. Then it's 0.04.

"If the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more within two hours of driving or being in actual physical control of the vehicle and the alcohol concentration results from alcohol consumed either before or while driving or being in actual physical control of the vehicle."

Really a miracle I made it out of that state with no criminal record.

redline380

New

Post by redline380 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:56 pm

From my personal experiences with a dwi, I can tell you that usually .04-.0799 a dui is given at the discretion of the officer. If you were exhibiting obvious signs of drunkenness, it would be safe to say the dui was warranted. .08 and beyond is a dwi no matter what. Depending on the local and state laws, I think a dui at .04 were be a perfect time to lawyer up and plead to a lesser sentence

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:17 am

westie25 wrote:Were you underage? Usually "zero tolerance" indicates being underage at the time (i.e. Under 21, BAC over 0.00 = Zero Tolerance). I would definitely fight that. Their DUI law says 0.08 unless you're driving a commercial vehicle with a CDL. Then it's 0.04.

Noob question that has been bothering me and I've been afraid to ask: What does ETA stand for?

ETA - Oh nevermind, figured it out.
Last edited by bbsg on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 am

May I inquire as to why you were pulled over?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 am

dproduct wrote:May I inquire as to why you were pulled over?
Drunk driving - duh!

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 am

so you're over 21, and got a DUI in AZ after blowing a .04. that's like one strong beer on an empty stomach. the good news is that schools probably won't care. bad news is that the state bar might, considering that some people are too buzzed to drive even on a .04, and you did get pulled over. as someone just asked, why were u pulled over? also, was it a highway or in a residential area?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
LexLeon wrote:
+1.

Most everyone I know (who has blown under .08) gets it dropped to reckless driving. OP, maybe you can hit up the tents and say what up to Sheriff Joe.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 am

DWI = Driving While Immigrant?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 am

dingbat wrote:DWI = Driving While Immigrant? Intoxicated

remainsofthebay

New

Post by remainsofthebay » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm not underage and I didn't use my turn signal to change lanes - it was also a Friday night. Sounds like I have a decent chance at getting this knocked down to something that shouldn't be much of a problem. Thanks a ton guys, drive safe (especially in AZ)

Huey Freeman

Bronze

Post by Huey Freeman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 am

dingbat wrote:DWI = Driving While Immigrant?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”