Pay Sticker at Top 14 or Full Ride at Lower Tier 1? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Pay Sticker at Top 14 or Full Ride at Lower Tier 1?

Pay Sticker at Top 14
57%
Take Full Ride at Lower Tier 1
43%

Total votes: 58

Brysia

New

Pay Sticker at Top 14 or Full Ride at Lower Tier 1?

Post by Brysia » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

I know that most tls users would say retake so I'm not listing this as an option.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

gaud

Platinum

Re: Pay Sticker at Top 14 or Full Ride at Lower Tier 1?

Post by gaud » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm

It depends.

No one can give you a legit answer without knowing the schools/region, where you want to practice, etc.

CalAlumni

Bronze

Post by CalAlumni » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm

All depends on what you want to do with your degree.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Would love to see this debate get rolling again.

Come on, guys. Let's do this.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Retake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:49 pm

I'd pay sticker at T6, otherwise I'd take the full-ride (assuming it's a quality school in a good region) and just forgo my big law ambitions.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:I'd pay sticker at T6, otherwise I'd take the full-ride (assuming it's a quality school in a good region) and just forgo my big law ambitions.
Not sure what you're trying to get at here. But if you do pretty well (median-ish) at any T-14 you got a good shot at biglaw.

-

I voted sticker at T-14, but I cast the vote with my ambitions and opportunity cost in mind. On the other hand, if you have mad connections in WI, U Wisconsin has offered you the full-ride, and you want to practice in WI.....

Also, my two cents on the whole T-14 sticker thing: TLS overemphasizes its risk.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm

gaud wrote:It depends.

No one can give you a legit answer without knowing the schools/region, where you want to practice, etc.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Any person in the T14 probably had an option of attending a lower T1 at full ride. IMO, T14 at sticker is TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
I'd pay sticker at T6, otherwise I'd take the full-ride (assuming it's a quality school in a good region) and just forgo my big law ambitions.

Not sure what you're trying to get at here. But if you do pretty well (median-ish) at any T-14 you got a good shot at biglaw.

-

I voted sticker at T-14, but I cast the vote with my ambitions and opportunity cost in mind. On the other hand, if you have mad connections in WI, U Wisconsin has offered you the full-ride, and you want to practice in WI.....

Also, my two cents on the whole T-14 sticker thing: TLS overemphasizes its risk.
The risk is 50/50. If you end up below median then going top 14 for sticker was a mistake. If you're seeing people on TLS saying it's riskier then that then they're overemphasizing it--but otherwise they're not. And FYI I'm speaking from personal experience. It's amazing how unimportant having attended a top 14 is once you land below the median ITE. In some ways it's worse than landing similar grades from a strong regional in the area you want to practice.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:

-

The risk is 50/50. If you end up below median then going top 14 for sticker was a mistake. If you're seeing people on TLS saying it's riskier then that then they're overemphasizing it--but otherwise they're not. And FYI I'm speaking from personal experience. It's amazing how unimportant having attended a top 14 is once you land below the median ITE. In some ways it's worse than landing similar grades from a strong regional in the area you want to practice.
Thanks for this, Bruce. But how much better does it make it if you do everything in your power from the beginning to land that good job from the beginning (like if you network, apply to 100s of places, you're sociable, you're flexible etc. etc.)? I ask because I've heard it said you can make it graduating from about everywhere as long as you put in the leg work.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 pm

This thread was extremely helpful, since I'm likely going to be in a similar boat. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:This thread was extremely helpful, since I'm likely going to be in a similar boat. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 pm

law2015 wrote:Any person in the T14 probably had an option of attending a lower T1 at full ride. IMO, T14 at sticker is TCR.
This is true, but the fact that most people make this choice does not mean that it's correct.

I took full ride over sticker, and after first semester I'm in the top 5-10 people in my class (top 5%). I don't yet have a 1L SA (and may not get one, its hard), but I'm happy with my choice.

I made the choice that I did after doing research on people at my school who had received a named full ride scholarship. What I found (through googling and information provided by the school) is that more than 50% of these people had gotten big law in the last five years, and an even higher percentage before that. So I decided to make this choice because even if I went T14 my odds wouldn't be any better.

It's risky either way. If you get bad grades at a lower tier 1 you will be in really bad shape. My opinion based on a semester of law school (and a lot of data about how past scholarship recipients have done) is that someone who gets in to a T14 (or more than one), but opts to go to a T40, definitely has a leg up on the competition in terms of grades. But do your research, and recognize that its a lot of pressure taking this route (although the other way its a lot of financial pressure).

My main advice is to ask the tier 1 school to put you in touch with past full ride recipients, and do everything you can to gather data about how people who have made this choice in the past have done.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
law2015 wrote:Any person in the T14 probably had an option of attending a lower T1 at full ride. IMO, T14 at sticker is TCR.
This is true, but the fact that most people make this choice does not mean that it's correct.

I took full ride over sticker, and after first semester I'm in the top 5-10 people in my class (top 5%). I don't yet have a 1L SA (and may not get one, its hard), but I'm happy with my choice.

I made the choice that I did after doing research on people at my school who had received a named full ride scholarship. What I found (through googling and information provided by the school) is that more than 50% of these people had gotten big law in the last five years, and an even higher percentage before that. So I decided to make this choice because even if I went T14 my odds wouldn't be any better.

It's risky either way. If you get bad grades at a lower tier 1 you will be in really bad shape. My opinion based on a semester of law school (and a lot of data about how past scholarship recipients have done) is that someone who gets in to a T14 (or more than one), but opts to go to a T40, definitely has a leg up on the competition in terms of grades. But do your research, and recognize that its a lot of pressure taking this route (although the other way its a lot of financial pressure).

My main advice is to ask the tier 1 school to put you in touch with past full ride recipients, and do everything you can to gather data about how people who have made this choice in the past have done.
Quality, quality input. Thanks so much.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm in the "we need more details about your sitch/ambitions" camps. You're from Houston and choosing between a full-ride to UH and sticker at GULC? I think most people would say UH is unambiguously the right answer. You're from South Florida and choosing between a full-ride at Miami and sticker at UVA? Tougher choice and UVA is probably the right answer. Just depends.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Assuming full price for COL you're still going to be looking at big time debt, though this varies on where you live.

So many people get caught up in looking at it based purely on servicing debt that they fail to realize there is far more to a career than simply making money/paying back loans. What are your ambitions? Full ride at a regional can have a higher floor but also a lower ceiling. Forget not that this school will set you on a trajectory for what is hopefully a life-long career. Look beyond 5 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cinnamonchurros

New

Post by cinnamonchurros » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

This really depends on COL, the region where you want to practice, and whether you want Biglaw. Like most difficult questions on TLS, this depends on your situation.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 pm

further speculation is futile without details.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 am

stillwater wrote:further speculation is futile without details.
+1. I'm tired of these vague, hypothetical posts. Some people don't seem to understand that decisions like these are totally situational.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 am

Made this decision a couple weeks ago. Went with the T14 at sticker because career goals.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:42 am

Like the others, I'm going to agree with IT DEPENDS on: Where are you from? What is the full-ride in question and where is it from? Are there stipulations? What T-14? What do you want to do?

I think a well thought out full-ride can often be the best route (ie. from an established local school in an area you want to work and have ties to).

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 am

I'd take sticker any day, but that's mainly because there are no good regionals in my small hometown market. Also, I have a pretty viable back-up plan and am relatively risk-neutral. Maximizing dat expected lifetime earnings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”