Wait List Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Micro-Guy90

New

Wait List Question

Post by Micro-Guy90 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi All!

I wanted to what extent LSAT-GPA figures into admission off a wait list? I know schools differ in their approach (i.e. some rank some don't), but might some one explain in general terms what the criteria is for admission off the list? Other than TLS and LSN would you recommend any other databases which might show the historical admission rate from the wait list? I'm really nervous and want to plan my moves carefully on this. I apologize if this was covered in previous posting and look forward to your responses!

contrapositive1

New

Re: Wait List Question

Post by contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 pm

justl call them

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 pm

The best thing you can do to get off a waitlist is retake the LSAT. Get above their median or 75th, whichever you're currently below. GPA's are harder to change, but if your fall grades put you above median that's significant. In other words, it's unlikely you were waitlisted because you didn't join enough clubs in UG.

As far as databases, LSN is the best we have. myLSN.info might afford you some interesting insights, but it too pulls its data from LSN.
contrapositive1 wrote:justl call them
GTFO.

clerker

New

Post by clerker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Micro-Guy90 wrote:Hi All!

I wanted to what extent LSAT-GPA figures into admission off a wait list? I know schools differ in their approach (i.e. some rank some don't), but might some one explain in general terms what the criteria is for admission off the list? Other than TLS and LSN would you recommend any other databases which might show the historical admission rate from the wait list? I'm really nervous and want to plan my moves carefully on this. I apologize if this was covered in previous posting and look forward to your responses!
Law schools want to maintain certain levels of median GPA/LSAT. So they first get a bunch of students to attend, achieve their target median numbers, and then use the waitlist to fill out the rest of the class. So let's say some random school has a target median of 3.5 and 165. Let's say they've filled 200 out of 250 seats. They'll fill the last 50 by pairing up applicants by their numbers. For every 3.2/170 applicant they admit, they also admit a 3.8/163 applicant. That way their medians stay the same and their yields remain high.

So what you want to do as an applicant is make sure you have strong numbers (this usually works out better for those with higher LSATs because that's scarcer). And make sure you emphasize to them that if you get in, you'll go, so they won't take a hit on yield.

Hope that made sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”