Lowest ranked school you would attend for free Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Re: Lowest ranked school you would attend for free

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
rvadog wrote:You are only admitted to one school. This isn't a "Georgetown at cost vs...." thread.

Top 50?

Top 25?
Best school in the state you want to work in and have ties.
Wait I live in CT, does this mean that Yale should be my floor? FFaaaarrrrrrk
Humblebrag. FFaaaaaarrrrrrrrk

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:53 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Future posters, please clarify what your opportunity cost is as you answer. This kind of discussion is totally useless when you have, for example, an already-six-figure-making ivy grad answering "Yale" and a impoverished shit stateschool grad of art history answering their state (or city) flagship or GWU.

So many people on TLS these days are struggling with this ridiculously hard decision, it only makes it worse when you have such divergent responses.
I was making ~50k pre-LS.
Was Rutgers-Camden your serious answer?
I'm a current student, soooooo...
Just the voice that needs to be heard. Are you on a full-ride or close? How do you feel about your decision?

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:00 pm

NYU or Berkeley. Or I mean maybe Osgoode if we include Canadian schools.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:12 pm

bbsg wrote:NYU or Berkeley. Or I mean maybe Osgoode if we include Canadian schools.
You are clearly misreading OP's question. S/he's not asking which one you would attend, but the lowest-ranked one that you would advise one to attend. Obviously, it'll likely not be a straight-forward or possible answer to most people, as the poster on page 1 pointed out. I too would assume some debt in order to get better options. But you are totally mis-answering the question and leading this thread down the wrong direction when you say simply, for example, it is not advisable to attend Michigan or Duke at no cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Wormfather wrote:
bbsg wrote:NYU or Berkeley. Or I mean maybe Osgoode if we include Canadian schools.
You are clearly misreading OP's question. S/he's not asking which one you would attend, but the lowest-ranked one that you would advise one to attend. Obviously, it'll likely not be a straight-forward or possible answer to most people, as the poster on page 1 pointed out. I too would assume some debt in order to get better options. But you are totally mis-answering the question and leading this thread down the wrong direction when you say simply, for example, it is not advisable to attend Michigan or Duke at no cost.
I think the poster wouldnt advise anyone to attend a school lower than the one they them selves would attend. Furthermore, the OP didnt give any paramaters.

Wait:
rvadog wrote:Where's your threshold?

I'm calling it, overzealous RC fail. Help harder.
No level of RC can enable one to read into her answer like that. S/he answered it personally, with the options she has.

OK, maybe OP meant to ask each person personally what their threshold was, that the "parameters" were for everyone to answer based on their own personal circumstances, that he intended to have answers ranging from the T-6 to T-14 to T1 to T2 to TT to TTT to TTTT to no school because no school would give me a full ride. But 1) why would he care to make a thread about this? and 2) that's not where this thread has lead to and not the way people have answered it.

Also: themselves; parameters; and if 'anyone' is 'they' in your post then that statement doesn't make sense to me. S/he is saying that s/he wouldn't advise Bob to attend a lower-ranked school that Bob would attend? So sticker debt all the way? Maybe she means this, but that wouldn't be answering the question at all and that's a huge stretch. Anyway, I'm calling it, writing fail. Write better.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 pm

^dude you are taking this thread really, really seriously

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm

oaken wrote:^dude you are taking this thread really, really seriously
Agreed.
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:S/he's not asking which one you would attend, but the lowest-ranked one that you would advise one to attend.
Also, what the fuck? The thread title is literally "Lowest ranked school you would attend for free", and I answered as such. No mention of the school you'd advise someone else to attend or anything like that in the first post, either.

rvadog

New

Post by rvadog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Good lord. Some of you guys get it and some of you need a beer.

Wasn't looking for advice, just curious what people thought.

If you have over specific career or personal goals and you feel this thread doesn't apply to you then don't answer the question. On the other hand if you plan to blanket app every school which could reasonably expected to accept you then answer up.

Maybe here's a better question that gets the same answer:

What if your cousin who's a junior at a state school asks you where he should go to law school but your rich uncle is paying for it so money is no concern. At what point do you advise him it's not worth it and he should not go even for free?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Just the voice that needs to be heard. Are you on a full-ride or close? How do you feel about your decision?
Full ride, still have to pay "fees" every semester amounting to ~$3k. I feel fucking awesome about my decision because I killed it first semester, but obviously 90% of the class cannot say the same, and hard to say if I will be so fortunate this semester as well.

Still, low debt + killer grades = feelsgoodman

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 am

Maybe UCLA or USC, but only if I didn't have the option to attend a better school at all.

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 am

You are clearly misreading OP's question. S/he's not asking which one you would attend. . . .
Thread title: "Lowest ranked school you would attend"

Checkmate.

redline380

New

Post by redline380 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 am

bbsg wrote:
You are clearly misreading OP's question. S/he's not asking which one you would attend. . . .

Checkmate.
hahahaha chuckle chuckle. me personally... the lowest one i'd go to is one i attend. note the ambiguity of my answer, or for that matter, any other serious answer on this thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

redline380 wrote:
bbsg wrote:

Checkmate.
hahahaha chuckle chuckle. me personally... the lowest one i'd go to is one i attend. note the ambiguity of my answer, or for that matter, any other serious answer on this thread
My answer was pretty fucking specific.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 am

rvadog wrote:What if your cousin who's a junior at a state school asks you where he should go to law school but your rich uncle is paying for it so money is no concern. At what point do you advise him it's not worth it and he should not go even for free?
Just going straight down the rankings, American probably wouldn't be worth it, so... Florida?

Assuming he has no ties anywhere (Alaskan oil money), Pitt.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:38 am

I would go to Davis full ride. Be pretty happy about it too.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 am

bbsg wrote:

Checkmate.
No. If you read 4 posts up OP clarified what he meant. If you have an argument for NYU or Berkeley besides those being your current options with you numbers, make it. But it seems like you just said that based on your personal circumstances only.

And to redline: While we've yet to get any decent discussion going (with the exception of InGoodFaith and a few others), such is the goal.

Btw: sorry about going HAM on this thread yesterday. I had a weird day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 am

I would tell my cousin that the lowest he should slum is the flagship LS in the state he both wants to work in and has ties to.
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote: No. If you read 4 posts up OP clarified what he meant. If you have an argument for NYU or Berkeley besides those being your current options with you numbers, make it. But it seems like you just said that based on your personal circumstances only.

And to redline: While we've yet to get any decent discussion going (with the exception of InGoodFaith and a few others), such is the goal.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
rvadog wrote:You are only admitted to one school. This isn't a "Georgetown at cost vs...." thread.

Top 50?

Top 25?
Best school in the state you want to work in and have ties.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 pm

Rankings should have absolutely nothing to do with this question.

I have a shitty minimum wage job so I'd probably go to UH for free -- solid employment prospects (1/3 chance for biglaw), growing market, lack of ties would probably be OK.

Law school is such a time commitment though that I would have trouble justifying it, even for free, with less than a 60% or so chance of getting a FT LT JD-required job.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Wormfather wrote:Yeah, being where I'm from, I could possibly justify going to UConn for free. Most people outside of CT probably have no business even applying there. But then again I want big law so, I wouldnt probably go to UConn if I had the choice of a T14 at sticker, thus the answer is probably Cornell (maybe Fordham).

The answer to this question is going to be so nuanced that its crazy to try to solve it with a one size fits all.
2nd sentence should be a commandment WRT to almost every non T14 school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 am

Maybe Illinois or Wisconsin. I really don't know.

patentlybored

New

Post by patentlybored » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 am

IAFG wrote:
IAFG wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Fordham, but there are some schools ranked higher that I wouldn't touch.
and that's what makes it a silly question.
A badly-worded one but not a silly one.
it's pretty silly. i wouldn't attend any school for free...
So you wouldnt attend, say, NU for free but yet you paid to go there?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 pm

patentlybored wrote: So you wouldnt attend, say, NU for free but yet you paid to go there?
If I had gotten into a school with better employment stats, I would have paid to go there instead, all the way up to Yale.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:11 pm

cynthiad wrote:Maybe UCLA or USC, but only if I didn't have the option to attend a better school at all.
Even if I didn't have the better option, I think I'd go here (with a little money). USC grads get jerbs because LA and all of the OC considers USC to be some T1 God. But this is mostly due to the huge amount of loaded USC alumni who love to give their brethren jobs...because of UCLA rivalry etc. Obviously this is way more complex than what I'm spewting, but it's a very true reality here. Anecdotal experience and hearsay, take it for what it is.

The bottom of most T14 schools' classes are going to be jobless as it is..I think I'd rather go to a school where I know I can achieve at least the median, or be where I have ties. Huge amounts of money is important too, but I didn't tailor this answer specifically towards a free ride. Because I don't know if TT/TTT names can make up for no debt.

If I'm still talking about CA, Pepperdine with a full ride? Sure. They actually get jobs in most cases.

*i have no statistical info but I've seen data that shows USC gets big law jerbs, more so than even UCLA*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”