GPA addendum for less-than-stellar reasons? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lunaraeon

Bronze

GPA addendum for less-than-stellar reasons?

Post by lunaraeon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi everyone. I'm just waiting for a mistakenly entered grade to be updated on my transcript and my LORs to be uploaded, then I'll be ready to apply for this cycle. I'm also wondering whether it's worth writing a GPA addendum, or whether it would be too likely to harm my application, considering how late into the cycle I am applying.

Relevant details:
My LSAT is 179, I wrote it once this most recent October.
Prior to this semester my GPA was terrible (below 3.3). It is still pretty terrible (3.4) but my past semester was a significant increase for me in terms of grades. I went from mediocre to pretty good (just under 3.9). It is my fifth semester out of the total six I will complete before my degree is awarded due to some advanced standing, so although I'll certainly be aiming to replicate my improved work ethic, I still won't come close to breaking many 25th percentiles :P My school has also made it clear I must graduate at the end of this current semester so no extra classes to boost my grades.

I (of course) feel my most recent semester is a better idea of my potential. My first two years meant becoming adjusted to completely new situations, people, dealing with relationship issues, and different types and amounts of work. A large part was me being a poor worker and not dealing well with stress.
I feel that an addendum, to be advantageous, has to cover disadvantages which are both somewhat unique to the applicant, and which are not likely to present problems in law school. I think I am now in a position to make another school transition without suffering the same problems and could argue that effectively (this past semester my courses were harder and I did even more extracurriculars while still increasing my marks, and I'm 20 now so a bit less prone to the maturity faults), but I am also certain that it's not even close to unique for a GPA addendum to say "university was harder than I imagined for many reasons, and it took me two years to get used to it".
I do have a developmental disability which contributed to the problems, and though it underlies a good chunk of my PS, I do not talk about it as a mitigating factor for my grades.

TL;DR Is a significant (>0.55) increase in my past semester GPA on any previous semester, coupled with a developmental disability which amplified the difficulties I faced, significant enough for an addendum to be worthwhile? (Considering I am basically trying to explain away not doing enough to overcome it quicker, and would be framing it as "I wasn't up to the stress/work/everything before, but I've grown and matured and now I am, see my last semester GPA and LSAT and PS and (average) LORs".)

Thank you very much for any insight you can give! I tried to search past threads for similar questions but wasn't able to find any. If you have links to some I'll definitely read them. I'm blanketing schools CCN down (yay fee waivers) so school-specific advice is also quite helpful if you have any :)

Rahviveh

Gold

Re: GPA addendum for less-than-stellar reasons?

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 pm

The developmental disability might be worth talking about. Did you get accommodations for it?

None of the other stuff you mentioned is worth writing an addendum for.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 pm

lunaraeon wrote: My LSAT is 179
I stopped reading here

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 pm

dingbat wrote:
I stopped reading here
Why?

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I stopped reading here
Why?
If you have to ask that, you probably didn't score a 179. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kylemba

New

Post by kylemba » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I wouldnt bother with an addendum.. especially with a 179.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:The developmental disability might be worth talking about. Did you get accommodations for it?

That's about what I figured. I did get accomodations—I'm not sure if it's helpful to explore it in an addendum if it's already going into a PS and possibly a DS. I'll think about it, and if I maybe just want to touch on this briefly in my PS. Thank you for the response!

For the rest, thanks as well. I think I have a good idea of what route I'll take for my applications. Cheers.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:The developmental disability might be worth talking about. Did you get accommodations for it?

That's about what I figured. I did get accomodations—I'm not sure if it's helpful to explore it in an addendum if it's already going into a PS and possibly a DS. I'll think about it, and if I maybe just want to touch on this briefly in my PS. Thank you for the response!

For the rest, thanks as well. I think I have a good idea of what route I'll take for my applications. Cheers.
If you got accommodations don't try to talk about your low GPA in any of your essays. Theoretically your accommodations should be putting you on a level playing field with everyone else.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 am

b123 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I stopped reading here
Why?
If you have to ask that, you probably didn't score a 179. :P
Umm, good point I guess. My score is in my profile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”