Why Check Status Checker? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoingForGold

New

Why Check Status Checker?

Post by GoingForGold » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Schools will e-mail me if there is an update, correct? So, why do I get the impression that people are monitoring status checker incessantly?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Why Check Status Checker?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 pm

GoingForGold wrote:Schools will e-mail me if there is an update, correct? So, why do I get the impression that people are monitoring status checker incessantly?
The email is not instantaneous, and you never know with spam filters, etc. Also, people are OCD. I'm OCD-ing my HLS checker waiting for it to go complete, so I'm not judging.

steakandchicken

New

Post by steakandchicken » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm

You don't have to monitor incessantly, just set up L.S. Status Check (--LinkRemoved--) and it will let you know. Using that app, I received a text message letting me know my status changed to "Congrats!" which was helpful because the email from the school came a day later. It is also helpful to see if you're going under committee review 1 or 2, for the schools that have a predictable admissions process (Penn, NYU, etc.).

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 pm

GoingForGold wrote:Schools will e-mail me if there is an update, correct? So, why do I get the impression that people are monitoring status checker incessantly?
My status checker let me know I had been admitted to one of my schools on Friday... I still haven't gotten the email I was supposed to get. So sometimes you can find out quicker.

sideoffries

New

Post by sideoffries » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 pm

NYU made an error when entering my address so it was helpful to know that they had an erroneous address on file

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am

steakandchicken wrote:You don't have to monitor incessantly, just set up L.S. Status Check (--LinkRemoved--) and it will let you know. Using that app, I received a text message letting me know my status changed to "Congrats!" which was helpful because the email from the school came a day later. It is also helpful to see if you're going under committee review 1 or 2, for the schools that have a predictable admissions process (Penn, NYU, etc.).
You've just made my life a whole lot easier. Thank you!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
steakandchicken wrote:You don't have to monitor incessantly, just set up L.S. Status Check (--LinkRemoved--) and it will let you know. Using that app, I received a text message letting me know my status changed to "Congrats!" which was helpful because the email from the school came a day later. It is also helpful to see if you're going under committee review 1 or 2, for the schools that have a predictable admissions process (Penn, NYU, etc.).
Just make sure that it works all the time cause the app has issues. Also see that its email address is in your address book (just do a test email in the options menu) cause it'll filter it into spam.

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 am

JayJones78 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Just make sure that it works all the time cause the app has issues. Also see that its email address is in your address book (just do a test email in the options menu) cause it'll filter it into spam.
On that note, do the text messages usually work for it? The test email worked for me, but for some reason I didn't receive the test text.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:48 am

potterpirate04 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
On that note, do the text messages usually work for it? The test email worked for me, but for some reason I didn't receive the test text.
They do for me. Try to force quit it and re-open and then test text. I find the app great overall and I set it to check all my apps (over 20 :shock: ) every hour, but I still check them 'manually' all the time :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GoingForGold

New

Post by GoingForGold » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 am

Cool program. Took care of all schools except Columbia which seems to use its own system.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm

GoingForGold wrote:Cool program. Took care of all schools except Columbia which seems to use its own system.
CLS status checker never updates beyond complete anyway so no point in even checking it

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:40 pm

I like the way Emory does it. They accept your application and then contact you when they have news. Status checker was invented to fuel obsession.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm

talesofyore wrote:I like the way Emory does it. They accept your application and then contact you when they have news. Status checker was invented to fuel obsession.
Status checker was invented to prevent hundreds of calls to the admissions offices "just to make sure their application wasn't lost."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:57 pm

TripTrip wrote:
talesofyore wrote:I like the way Emory does it. They accept your application and then contact you when they have news. Status checker was invented to fuel obsession.
Status checker was invented to prevent hundreds of calls to the admissions offices "just to make sure their application wasn't lost."
With the lack of movement on my status checkers, I still kinda want to call them and ask them that. :lol:

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey is anyone else having trouble with this site? This sounds like a great app but the website link seems to be dead.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 am

had this thing up for months now... that along with the auto update makes up for a lot of wasted time I would rather be spending on TLS and LSN ._.

leo2013

New

Post by leo2013 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
The email is not instantaneous, and you never know with spam filters, etc. Also, people are OCD. I'm OCD-ing my HLS checker waiting for it to go complete, so I'm not judging.
Jesus Christ, after seeing your post I rushed to my gmail spam folder and found one offer there!

Throttle

New

Post by Throttle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

You check to make sure they received your documents. I'd feel sorry for a person who was HYS eligible and took the attitude of, "Imma just wait till they send me an email", and never noticed that, by some freak accident, their app was lost.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”