Post-application LSAT addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Harv

New

Post-application LSAT addendum?

Post by Harv » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:18 pm

It's possible that I'm just being neurotic, but I'd like some advice anyways. My stats - GPA: 4.16, LSAT: 165, 172. The 165 was a re-take I wrote after my October test was lost. I believe the stress of having my test lost, and re-writing in the middle of a busy semester adversely affected my score. LSAC sends a letter out to every school along with my admissions package explaining that my test was lost. When I submitted applications to the T6 + Berkeley, I thought the letter from LSAC would adequately speak to the circumstances affecting my re-take. Now, I'm regretting not including an addendum explaining more specifically what happened, as many of these schools appear to factor both scores into consideration. That being said, I've already re-sent my personal statement to a few of the schools after having submitted my application. Should I send an addendum explaining the LSAT differential to the schools, or will bothering them further just make me look like an idiot? Advice would be appreciated!

gaud

Platinum

Re: Post-application LSAT addendum?

Post by gaud » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:20 pm

I don't believe it would make you look like an idiot to send one, but I also don't believe it's necessary. Schools are only going to care about the 172 as it's all they're required to report.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm

I think LSAC's letter is plenty. We've heard anecdotally about Harvard, for example, since they interview everybody. It's been hit or miss whether they ask about why their score went up, but it sounds like they've never really cared much.

Any tiny question they might have had would probably be answered by the LSAC letter imo.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Harv wrote:It's possible that I'm just being neurotic, but I'd like some advice anyways. My stats - GPA: 4.16, LSAT: 165, 172. The 165 was a re-take I wrote after my October test was lost. I believe the stress of having my test lost, and re-writing in the middle of a busy semester adversely affected my score. LSAC sends a letter out to every school along with my admissions package explaining that my test was lost. When I submitted applications to the T6 + Berkeley, I thought the letter from LSAC would adequately speak to the circumstances affecting my re-take. Now, I'm regretting not including an addendum explaining more specifically what happened, as many of these schools appear to factor both scores into consideration. That being said, I've already re-sent my personal statement to a few of the schools after having submitted my application. Should I send an addendum explaining the LSAT differential to the schools, or will bothering them further just make me look like an idiot? Advice would be appreciated!
Definitely not an idiot. Send the addendum. It cannot hurt and it may bring you some solace / calm.

That's my advice.

Harv

New

Post by Harv » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. In Ken's comprehensive law school FAQ topic, he lists only Berkeley, Chicago, and Columbia as schools I've applied at that will take your highest LSAT score, with Chicago and Columbia requiring an explanation. Gaud and TripTrip, however, make it sound like this is not the case. Is this simply a difference between official/stated policies and actual admissions practice, or will HYSN be averaging my scores?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Harv wrote:Thanks for the responses. In Ken's comprehensive law school FAQ topic, he lists only Berkeley, Chicago, and Columbia as schools I've applied at that will take your highest LSAT score, with Chicago and Columbia requiring an explanation. Gaud and TripTrip, however, make it sound like this is not the case. Is this simply a difference between official/stated policies and actual admissions practice, or will HYSN be averaging my scores?
Why did you resend your PS?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 pm

Harv wrote:Thanks for the responses. In Ken's comprehensive law school FAQ topic, he lists only Berkeley, Chicago, and Columbia as schools I've applied at that will take your highest LSAT score, with Chicago and Columbia requiring an explanation. Gaud and TripTrip, however, make it sound like this is not the case. Is this simply a difference between official/stated policies and actual admissions practice, or will HYSN be averaging my scores?
It's sort of hard to say 100% because no one here is an adcom. However, the idea behind what triptrip says and gaud is that Law Schools only report the TOP LSAT score. So while they may say that they average etc, ultimately schools are prestige whores and look to maintain that. So if someone gets a 150 and then retakes for a 180, I doubt harvard dismisses that 180 because it averages to a 165. Do you get what I mean ?

Harv

New

Post by Harv » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Why did you resend your PS?
Embarrassingly, I read over it again after having send my package in, and hated the way I worded a couple of things so much that I couldn't help myself. I just called it an updated personal statement in the emails.

Harv

New

Post by Harv » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm

toothbrush wrote:
It's sort of hard to say 100% because no one here is an adcom. However, the idea behind what triptrip says and gaud is that Law Schools only report the TOP LSAT score. So while they may say that they average etc, ultimately schools are prestige whores and look to maintain that. So if someone gets a 150 and then retakes for a 180, I doubt harvard dismisses that 180 because it averages to a 165. Do you get what I mean ?
Yeah, and this idea reinforces my desire to send the addendum.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Harv wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Yeah, and this idea reinforces my desire to send the addendum.
Shouldn't hurt if it's short and to the point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”