How hard is HLS trolling me? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

How hard is HLS trolling me?

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Just got this email about fifteen minutes ago:

Dear xxxx:

The Law School Admissions Council has informed me that you may be considering law school this year. I invite you to take a closer look at Harvard Law School and the unparalleled opportunities that are available here.

HLS is a dynamic, vibrant, and energetic place to study the law. HLS is home to the world's most intellectually interesting and diverse law faculty, leading an incredible array of courses, seminars, and reading groups, which cover every major substantive area of legal study. Our size is our greatest strength. For example, Harvard Law School offers over 430 courses and small reading groups (132 with enrollments of fewer than 25 students), 30+ clinical areas, and over 100 student organizations ranging from the Scales of Justice (our a cappella group) to journals like the Environmental Law Review. In addition, Harvard's focus on public service and international legal studies means that our students have an impact on many communities.

Admission to Harvard Law School is highly competitive, but each application receives individual consideration by our team of faculty members and admissions officers. We believe that a student body with a wide range of experiences, interests, and backgrounds helps to create the best teaching and learning environment imaginable. While this message in no way ensures your admission, we encourage you to apply. Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard.

Please visit Harvard Law School online at http://www.law.harvard.edu to explore the extensive resources and opportunities available to J.D. students, or follow the links below for more information on specific topics that interest you.

Sincerely,

Jessica Soban

Assistant Dean and Chief Admissions Officer

Should I even bother wasting the $100 with this? Numbers are in my profile and I figure I have <0% chance of getting in (Shout out to kingsfield for getting in with my LSAT score though).

eyfl

Bronze

Re: How hard is HLS trolling me?

Post by eyfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:23 pm

IMO better to apply and get disappointed than not apply and regret

At least I know I will be applying (once that last LOR gets in)

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard.
Read: every year we try to get as many auto-ding applicants as possible in order to increase our selectivity rating.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I got the same e-mail when I was applying (back in the halcyon days of 2007-08). I had numbers pretty close to yours, plus some compelling softs (to the extent any softs are compelling, which is... not really). The best I can say is that they actually sat on my application for a couple of months rather than auto-dinging it immediately, so presumably they went to the trouble of reading it...but naw, I just helped their selectivity numbers. :P

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Pretty hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 pm

I should probably claim tribal affiliation and see if I can swing it as an URM :lol:

Seriously though, does anyone think this is worth $100 or am I better off spending that money on booze?

Eberry

Diamond

Post by Eberry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:I should probably claim tribal affiliation and see if I can swing it as an URM :lol:

Seriously though, does anyone think this is worth $100 or am I better off spending that money on booze?

Booze. They trolling, breh.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:54 pm

But what if you get in?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 pm

I got this and a women's law association one from HLS back in early November. Don't know why they've sent it to you now, but I think anyone above a 160 (maybe?) gets an email from them would be my guess. I'm not getting in either

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Nobody is going to tell you flat out not to apply because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

On the other hand, if I had saved my app fees from Harvard and Stanford I could've bought a new Chromebook.

epiphinous7

Bronze

Post by epiphinous7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Go buy yourself something nice instead and wait for your other decisions..or buy me something nice..

Huey Freeman

Bronze

Post by Huey Freeman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:Every year, we end up admitting students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard.
Read: every year we try to get as many auto-ding applicants as possible in order to increase our selectivity rating.
Or, Read: Every year, we end up admitting URM students who never thought they had a chance at getting into Harvard.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 am

It would be interesting to get a list of people and numbers who received this email. It would be a pretty good indication if all their emails were sent to "LSAT < 165" or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 am

I got this email and didn't apply. I have a 3.3/ 173.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:54 am

TripTrip wrote:Nobody is going to tell you flat out not to apply because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
But seriously, I'm flat out telling you not to apply, OP.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 am

TripTrip wrote:

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am

Pretty hard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am

Dany wrote:Pretty hard.

superpippo

New

Post by superpippo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 am

164 --- got this same email. Pretty good idea for them to make some extra cash / boost selectivity.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:51 am

TripTrip wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:52 am

Harvard college did this to me when I was choosing an undergrad and dinged the ever loving shit out of me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”