Savannah Law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Re: Savannah Law school

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 am

deloga wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote: Expressing an opinion, no matter how contrarian or obnoxious, doesn't really qualify if the poster is sincere.
Interesting. So when I get called a troll, it's because someone managed to climb inside my head and evaluate my sincerity level? I'm genuinely confused as to what would possibly motivate me to lie about going to SLS--why would I come to such a hostile, elitist environment and say I go to a school everyone is openly mocking?

Here's an outrageous thought--maybe I'm telling the truth.
A lot of times when people defend lower ranked/unranked schools the OP is an adcomm speaking on behalf of the school that pays them. That is partially why people have trouble believing a person would defend these schools (Including Savannah Law School)

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
It's hard to believe anyone would be naive enough to defend Savannah Law School as an institution. Again, see Indiana Tech as an example of why.
This isn't about me defending an institution. SLS could crash and burn, or it could end up being a huge success. Ultimately, it's too early to tell. But as long as it can manage to keep its doors open for one more year, (which, seeing as how applications are up and we just brought on several new faculty/staff members, I'd say the odds are in my favor) then May 22nd of next year, I can get what I'm ultimately here for--that piece of paper that will allow me to sit for the bar.

So far, I've been called unintelligent, irrational, irresponsible, and now naïve--simply because I chose to go to SLS. I'll tell you what--y'all sure are some warm-hearted, open-minded, enlightened folks around here!

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 am

sundontshine wrote: It means that most of your classmates will not get the chance to prove whether they are good lawyers because nobody will hire them to be a lawyer, given the horrific hiring statistics of Savannah LS
What hiring statistics of SLS would you be referring to, exactly? Seeing as how we've only been open since 2012, we literally haven't even had a graduating class yet, meaning there are no "hiring statistics."

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 am

FuriousDuck wrote:
deloga wrote:
sundontshine wrote: It means that most of your classmates will not get the chance to prove whether they are good lawyers because nobody will hire them to be a lawyer, given the horrific hiring statistics of Savannah LS
What hiring statistics of SLS would you be referring to, exactly? Seeing as how we've only been open since 2012, we literally haven't even had a graduating class yet, meaning there are no "hiring statistics."
$5,000 says that Savannah ultimately posts a LST employment score below 50%. You down?
How far out we talking here? First graduating class?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 am

deloga wrote:
Until there are actual stats, people will be forced to use John Marshall's stats as a proxy. In any case, I don't know what's worse for the typical risk averse applicant — going to a school with low job stats or going to a school with no job stats.

Also, I get the feeling that you're merely defending your decision to go to Savannah Law, not defending the school itself. To what end? Are you just seeking validation of your choice?

FuriousDuck

Silver

Post by FuriousDuck » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:33 am

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

FuriousDuck wrote:
deloga wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
$5,000 says that Savannah ultimately posts a LST employment score below 50%. You down?
:roll: Sure.
Down.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:38 am

deloga wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
deloga wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
Down.
If you guys want to sent me $5,000 each, I'll be happy to hold it in escrow to ensure the bet is paid off. Just send it via western union to my nigerian account.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 am

deloga wrote:So far, I've been called unintelligent, irrational, irresponsible, and now naïve--simply because I chose to go to SLS. I'll tell you what--y'all sure are some warm-hearted, open-minded, enlightened folks around here!
I'm not trying to defend TLS here; sometimes this place can be a bit cold. However, not to be all cheesy but the way that the world works is also cold. I am not here to claim that you are unintelligent - that is just dumb. You might be a genius for all I know. Maybe you are. However, the choice to attend a school with low employment numbers (again, analyzing SLS from the perspective of John Marshall) is naive unless you have some kind of job 100% guaranteed, which few do despite what many people claim. Many people claim "I talked to so-and-so's brother and he said he'll get me a job, blah blah blah." I have heard these things from graduates and, you know what, these kind of "agreements" hardly EVER hold up. The only way to guarantee a job during law school is to basically be a 2/3L with a contractual agreement. Otherwise, anything can happen.

If you don't agree with us, why do you care? If you are happy with the decision then their should be no need to validate it. If you feel the need to validate your decision to strangers online then the odds are that you understand how risky going to a school like SLS really is.

Seriously though, this thread needs to die.

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 am

neprep wrote:
Until there are actual stats, people will be forced to use John Marshall's stats as a proxy. In any case, I don't know what's worse for the typical risk averse applicant — going to a school with low job stats or going to a school with no job stats.
Fair enough. I'll acknowledge it's a risk. But I've always been a bit of a risk taker. Fortunately, this one seems to be working out for me. And you're right--getting compared to JM's stats is an unavoidable, really unfortunate reality--for now. People see the affiliation and naturally assume the two have something to do with one another. But fortunately for us, we're a much smaller school with a faculty that's heavily invested in our future success, in an area that isn't already flooded with law students.
neprep wrote: Also, I get the feeling that you're merely defending your decision to go to Savannah Law, not defending the school itself. To what end? Are you just seeking validation of your choice?
I mean, I get it. People want to see numbers, and right now my school just doesn't have those to ofer. So that makes it really difficult to defend it from any perspective other than my own opinion/experience.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:55 am

Savannah is full of poor people and had no large businesses of note

Who exactly is spending money on legal services over there

Rich people out on Wilmington island?

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:Savannah is full of poor people and had no large businesses of note

Wilmington Island is FAR from the only place with "rich people" around here. There's quite a bit of wealth in this city, if things like that are what matter to you...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:02 pm

deloga wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Savannah is full of poor people and had no large businesses of note

Wilmington Island is FAR from the only place with "rich people" around here. There's quite a bit of wealth in this city, if things like that are what matter to you...
Those are the people that spend money on legal services so ya it does

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
deloga wrote:

Well, luckily for me, people of all classes need criminal defense attorneys. Most of the criminal lawyers I know around here are absolutely swamped with work. There seems to be an overabundance of PI lawyers running around, but not that many criminal defense attorneys.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

deloga wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
deloga wrote:

Well, luckily for me, people of all classes need criminal defense attorneys. Most of the criminal lawyers I know around here are absolutely swamped with work. There seems to be an overabundance of PI lawyers running around, but not that many criminal defense attorneys.
I used to work for 2 criminal defense firms

There are plenty of people who commit crimes and need lawyers

However people who tend to commit crimes tend not to have money

That's why they commit crimes

Unfortunately you need to get paid in money

Criminal work isn't some magical under served panacea of paying work

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Unfortunately you need to get paid in money
Lol. Yes, that's generally how it works.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:18 pm

The OP is obviously a law student procrastinating before her secured transactions final. Probably like everyone else in this thread I guess.

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:35 pm

banjo wrote:The OP is obviously a law student procrastinating before her secured transactions final. Probably like everyone else in this thread I guess.
No, seriously. Can we NOT talk about that?! :shock:

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Anddddd dropping back in. Didn't laugh nearly as much as the first 3 pages. Pick it up, Deloga. RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Deloga, I sincerely hope you are successful. You will have a decent shot at getting a job because you are in a better position than your peers. That doesn't change the fact that Savannah is not a good choice for nearly all applicants.

Good luck and all, but you have to understand the risk of the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:42 pm

deloga wrote:This isn't about me defending an institution. SLS could crash and burn, or it could end up being a huge success. Ultimately, it's too early to tell.
You are dedicated to the bit.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 pm

And since it seems like you will entertain bets, I will offer 3:1 odds up to a $3,000 payout that Savannah will not average 30% biglaw+fedclerk--an extremely generous definition of runaway success--for it's first three years of graduating classes. Money must be escrowed (non-negotiable).

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 pm

deloga wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
deloga wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:
Down.
How about we double down and say that SLS will be the premier legal training academy (too generous to call them a "law school," but "lawlz school" is apropos) of the new Tier V (TTTTT) law schools (i.e., schools that use a TTTT school's accredited status to open a new law school)

Requisites for membership are as follows:
1) In the employment category, each year there must be more graduating baristas than lawyers;
2) A location in a scenic, but forgettable and quaint town with a population less than 150,000;
3) An acronym that will lead to confusion with other pretentious and pompous academic institutions;
4) Pictures of special snowflakes adorning the halls, classrooms, and school promotional literature, to remind each person that chooses to attend the school that statistics, data, and facts are not enough to quell the dreamer inside of you;
5) Perhaps a slogan like "You can do it, if you defy the odds" would be fitting as well;
6) Not to mention, it would be ideal that these bastions of learning open their doors to eager legal scholars in the depths of a Great Recession because their job prospects upon graduation will certainly lead to great depression;
7) And last but not least, because there is tremendous competition in fighting to get law school applicants to attend each school, to entice these bright-eyed neophytes to attend these TTTTT institutions, the tuition will be a bargain-basement rate of just $40,000* (fully non-dischargeable of course).

*To calculate tuition amount: take annual median salary of all employed TTTTT graduates, multiply by 3, and add 10% annual tuition increases for good measure

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 pm

phillywc wrote:Deloga, I sincerely hope you are successful. You will have a decent shot at getting a job because you are in a better position than your peers. That doesn't change the fact that Savannah is not a good choice for nearly all applicants.

Good luck and all, but you have to understand the risk of the school.
Well, thank you. And hey--I've never once anywhere in the history of this thread claimed that it WOULD be a good choice for all (or most) applicants. In fact, it'd be a pretty terrible choice for a lot of people. But just because it's a brand new, unranked school doesn't mean it's not a great pick for some people. People can keep calling me "snowflake" all they want, but again--not everyone is the same. (And thank God for that--there seem to be some really pompous douche bags running around on here, and I'd sure hate to be lumped in with all of them lol)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”