Advice about softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hopeful2014

New

Advice about softs

Post by Hopeful2014 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Where should I volunteer that actually makes for a good soft? I feel like volunteering with the homeless and kids is something everyone does, so would it even make a difference on the application? Help :|

Nova

Platinum

Re: Advice about softs

Post by Nova » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 pm

When are you applying?

Volunteering is not really a cycle altering soft.

Just volunteer somewhere you wont mind spending time.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Hopeful2014: I can tell you with absolute certainty that volunteering "with the homeless and kids" (which one could easily do at the same time, since so many homeless are, sadly, children) is not something everyone does. I would say that not even a lot of people do these things.

Don't get too caught up in engaging in activities that you or others speculate will set you apart. Most importantly, do something that you believe in, or that you think is worthwhile. The implication this will have for applying to law school is that you will be able to speak authentically about the experiences you chose to have. In other words, it's not completely about what you do, but what you, personally, take from what you do. Engage in activities that will broaden your social (or political) outlook, and reflect on them as you go. These "softs" (which, in my opinion, are more important than some of the "hards") will help shape you both as a person and as a prospective law school applicant/student. Go get involved in something tangible and worthwhile!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 pm

One thing I did in undergrad that I loved was habitat for humanity. You ought to consider joining the local chapter at your university. There's nothing else to do on a saturday morning other than be still drunk and hungover, so why not help build someone's dream home while you're at it? You can learn some basics of carpentry, meet nice people, get a free lunch and still have the day to yourself.

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:27 pm

cahwc12 wrote:One thing I did in undergrad that I loved was habitat for humanity. You ought to consider joining the local chapter at your university. There's nothing else to do on a saturday morning other than be still drunk and hungover, so why not help build someone's dream home while you're at it? You can learn some basics of carpentry, meet nice people, get a free lunch and still have the day to yourself.
Just make sure you can measure in inches. I'm serious. But I do agree that Habitat is a worthwhile experience. For people who stay on long enough and have the technical skills you can even become a site supervisor (at least that's how it worked when I was there).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hopeful2014

New

Post by Hopeful2014 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:45 pm

I'll be applying in Fall 2013. I know I'm late in the game and should have started volunteering earlier, but I guess better late than never, right? :oops:

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Volunteer in the way that makes you satisfied and you believe in. It won't help you get into law school, though.

Hopeful2014

New

Post by Hopeful2014 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”