How to handle the Waitlist Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sergiokun16

Bronze

How to handle the Waitlist

Post by sergiokun16 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi guys, I'm sure a good thread on this topic exists already but I didn't see one. I've been waitlisted at W&L, and I guess I'm just feeling a little uneducated about how to handle the waitlist "process" in general. If someone with knowledge/experience would chip in, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say. Thanks.

dowu

Platinum

Re: How to handle the Waitlist

Post by dowu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:04 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:Hi guys, I'm sure a good thread on this topic exists already but I didn't see one. I've been waitlisted at W&L, and I guess I'm just feeling a little uneducated about how to handle the waitlist "process" in general. If someone with knowledge/experience would chip in, I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say. Thanks.
Pretty simple, really. If you get into a school that you want more than the school that waitlisted you, withdraw from the waitlist. If its one of your top choices, ride the waitlist out. Everyone keeps saying that this year is going to be a crazy year for waitlist activity. Don't cut off any chances unless you're sure that you want to attend elsewhere.

Good luck!

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks! Sounds simple enough. I keep hearing about LOCIs, can you enlighten me about when you should/should not write one?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:Thanks! Sounds simple enough. I keep hearing about LOCIs, can you enlighten me about when you should/should not write one?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/appendixf.html

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:13 pm

sergiokun16 wrote:Thanks! Sounds simple enough. I keep hearing about LOCIs, can you enlighten me about when you should/should not write one?
Yeah, sure. Generally, you send a LOCI when you are waitlisted and its one of your top choices. Schools most often see LOCI as letters saying: "if accepted, I will most likely attend". As to the effectiveness of a LOCI, I have no idea, and most people don't, really. It's all speculation. However, IMO, the LOCI works best when you're over both medians and suspect that you are being waitlisted because of YP. Meaning, most people get in with or around your numbers most of the time. It's been speculated that schools will YP when they think the candidate will attend a better ranked school.

Again, this cycle is funky, so I'm not sure how much YP will actually play a factor. Most schools are getting pretty desperate for students who can uphold their medians. In short, write LOCI to schools that waitlist you and that you'd really consider attending.
Last edited by dowu on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Very informational. Read this.

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:21 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Very informational. Read this.
Thanks to both of you, very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”