What does my future look like? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spleenworship

Gold

Re: What does my future look like?

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 pm

rvadog wrote:I don't have to worry about my superiors. My enlistment will be up same time I finished with law.

I would encourage you guys to keep in mind this isn't the usual "2.5 gpa, 151 lsat, should I go to cooley" thread. I will not have any debt.

T14 is not an option at any point for me because I was an idiot when I first went to college and have a sub 3.0 gpa.

Strong regionals and T25 may be, depending on LSAT. I know you are between a rock and a hard place given your career goals, but I would seriously consider waiting until you got out to go to a better law school, if you want to go to law school. Take your one shot then, and if not you'll be in a better position to use that JD for something it actually is related to.

Or, as North suggests, just go into law enforcement without a JD. With your military background and a college degree you are quite competitive for those.

Awkward

New

Post by Awkward » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 pm

you can drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville in less than 1.5hours

why not attend university of florida? or transfer for your second year then start commuting

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Awkward wrote:you can drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville in less than 1.5hours

why not attend university of florida? or transfer for your second year then start commuting

This is not bad advice... except for the part about transferring. You cannot count on grades good enough to transfer. It doesn't happen for about 90% of all law students. But you could theoretically commute, rvadog.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Awkward wrote:you can drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville in less than 1.5hours

Commuting to UF isn't terrible idea. Attending Florida Coastal with the intent to transfer is a terrible idea.

ETA: 100% Scooped.

rvadog

New

Post by rvadog » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm

I appreciate the advice guys. I think there is some confusion though. I have almost no idea where I'm going to work from June of 2013-2017. My top ten places were:

Atlantic beach, NC
Jacksonville, FL
Miami, Fl
Louisville, KY
Seattle, WA
San Diego, CA
Tampa, FL
St. Louis, MO
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC

There is a very good chance I could end up somewhere with a T2 or better school and a PT program. I was just preparing for the worst.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:42 pm

It's still a bad idea.
North wrote:You can become a LEO without a law degree. That's clearly what you want to do, so pursue it. If, after your enlistment period ends, it doesn't work out or you don't like the work, THEN you should consider attending law school with your GI bill. That would allow you to go to a law school that would give you a good chance at actually becoming a lawyer (read: not Florida Coastal).

Law school is a waste of your time and the taxpayer's money, you don't even need the degree.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm

rvadog wrote:I appreciate the advice guys. I think there is some confusion though. I have almost no idea where I'm going to work from June of 2013-2017. My top ten places were:

Atlantic beach, NC
Jacksonville, FL
Miami, Fl
Louisville, KY
Seattle, WA
San Diego, CA
Tampa, FL
St. Louis, MO
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC

There is a very good chance I could end up somewhere with a T2 or better school and a PT program. I was just preparing for the worst.
Well, whatever happens, good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm

spleenworship wrote:Well, whatever happens, good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you.
You tapped out quick on this one, spleen. Finals?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:03 pm

rvadog wrote: If I can't get a a federal or local LE job right away I can work in defense or public interest with no stress of law school debt
In this terrible legal economy that's not a backup plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 pm

rvadog wrote:
My primary goal is to get a Special Agent job in federal LE (i.e. FBI, ICE, DEA).

I will be 31 and some months when my enlistment is done. If I wait until my enlistment is over and then go to law school I'm looking at graduating at 34 at the earliest giving me basically one chance at getting a LE job before aging out.
The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:
rvadog wrote:
I would encourage you to work on reading comprehension.

I have stated before I will not pay for law school. If the school doesn't offer yellow ribbon program then I'll do something else. But they almost all (even Coastal) offer yellow ribbon.

I'm not worried about not getting a job. I have zero problem working a beat as a local cop.

then why go to law school? It would be a waste of time.

Also, I already edited it. Don't be a prick, I'm actually in law school. I don't have problems with RC, I do have problems with time to read posts from someone about to make a huge mistake.
I don't follow how this is a huge mistake. No debt=no worse off.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 pm

North wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Well, whatever happens, good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you.
You tapped out quick on this one, spleen. Finals?

yes. stupid crim pro

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?

fbi is 35.
Last edited by spleenworship on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
rvadog wrote:
My primary goal is to get a Special Agent job in federal LE (i.e. FBI, ICE, DEA).

I will be 31 and some months when my enlistment is done. If I wait until my enlistment is over and then go to law school I'm looking at graduating at 34 at the earliest giving me basically one chance at getting a LE job before aging out.

fbi is 35.
They're more strict than a strip joint.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I do have problems with time to read posts from someone about to make a huge mistake.

Three years of law school with no job at the end. In fact he would be less employable than if he hadn't done it. He would be considered overqualified for a shitton of jobs from employers who don't understand he can't bail at any time with his JD from Florida Coastal.

Sure, no debt is good. But still, would any of us wish 3 years of law school on someone if they weren't going to get anything out of it, and they in fact made their situation worse?
Last edited by spleenworship on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
rvadog wrote:

fbi is 35.

It's set by statute. I don't think it should be.

Unlike strip joints where I firmly believe, and plan to campaign on, the fact that the age limit should be set at 30 by statute.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:23 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I do have problems with time to read posts from someone about to make a huge mistake.

Three years of law school with no job at the end. In fact he would be less employable than if he hadn't done it. He would be considered overqualified for a shitton of jobs from employers who don't understand he can't bail at any time with his JD from Florida Coastal.

Sure, no debt is good. But still, would any of us wish 3 years of law school on someone if they weren't going to get anything out of it, and they in fact made their situation worse.
I disagree with it making his situation worse. Last I checked "did you go to law school" was not a question on a job application. If he thinks it is harmful, simply leave it off, but I really don't expect it to be all that harmful.

Secondly, I didn't find law school particularly stressful. The most stressful part was after it was done when I had to take the bar, and that was mostly because in the couple of weeks leading up to the bar one of my immediate family members was diagnosed with a possible terminal disease and I lost the job I was supposed to start that fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

fbi is 35.
No, it's 37.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Drake014 wrote:
I disagree with it making his situation worse. Last I checked "did you go to law school" was not a question on a job application. If he thinks it is harmful, simply leave it off, but I really don't expect it to be all that harmful.

Secondly, I didn't find law school particularly stressful. The most stressful part was after it was done when I had to take the bar, and that was mostly because in the couple of weeks leading up to the bar one of my immediate family members was diagnosed with a possible terminal disease and I lost the job I was supposed to start that fall.

First, you are the exception, not the rule to the bolded.

Secondly, let's say my job part isn't very persuasive. Fine. I'll argue in the alternative then that 3 years of studying and going to class even as little as 25 hours a week is a huge waste of time for someone who doesn't get a job that the JD helps him or her get. Especially since he is married. 25 hours a week away from your spouse (and possibly children) is a huge sacrifice to make for someone who doesn't get what they want out of it.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:
drake014 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
fbi is 35.

Unlike strip joints where I firmly believe, and plan to campaign on, the fact that the age limit should be set at 30 by statute.
I personally would prefer at least a minimum chest to belly ratio where the former should stick out further than the latter.
Last edited by Drake014 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

fbi is 35.
No, it's 37.

Lol. We're both wrong. It's 36, 11 months, and a number of days between 27 and 30.

ETA: sorry about that. I knew it was one year above the age I'll be at graduation.... and I keep thinking I'm younger than I am, LOL.

ETAx2: Which means, OP, that you could have multiple chances post graduation... not just one. (if you are still even reading this)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Drake014 wrote:

First, you are the exception, not the rule to the bolded.

Secondly, let's say my job part isn't very persuasive. Fine. I'll argue in the alternative then that 3 years of studying and going to class even as little as 25 hours a week is a huge waste of time for someone who doesn't get a job that the JD helps him or her get. Especially since he is married. 25 hours a week away from your spouse (and possibly children) is a huge sacrifice to make for someone who doesn't get what they want out of it.
Fair enough. I just didn't get the impression that he was all too concerned about being 25 hours away from the family. Perhaps law school would be less stressful than being at home :wink:

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
drake014 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
fbi is 35.

I personally would prefer at least a minimum chest to belly ratio where the former should stick out further than the latter.
Agreed. You can run as my vice president.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
drake014 wrote:

Agreed. You can run as my vice president.
It'll be a cold day in hell before Captain Picard is second to a guy who talks to empty chairs.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Lol. We're both wrong. It's 36, 11 months, and a number of days between 27 and 30.

ETA: sorry about that. I knew it was one year above the age I'll be at graduation.... and I keep thinking I'm younger than I am, LOL.

ETAx2: Which means, OP, that you could have multiple chances post graduation... not just one. (if you are still even reading this)
I only knew because I briefly looked into getting a cyber forensics job with the Secret Service, but I'll be 43 when I retire from the military, so I wasn't even close.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”