Interest in Law School Essay Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joshuajsmith

New

Interest in Law School Essay Advice

Post by joshuajsmith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:22 pm

So I'm applying to a T2 law school simply because my fianceé is also applying to a PhD program there. Seriously, nothing more than that. However, they require an interest in law school essay.

I'm considering just writing a 1-2 paragrapher just being brutally honest. We're getting married in the summer, so I could talk about the importance of staying together geographically, how important family is to me, etc. Do you think this is wise, or should I attempt to blow smoke up their ass?

francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Interest in Law School Essay Advice

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Are you a shoe-in based on your stats?

joshuajsmith

New

Post by joshuajsmith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:31 pm

No, it would be a bit of reach. 159/2.45 (3.76 degree), lots of softs. Awful early grades, few years off working in politics, then 3.8+ after going back. I have gotten into two LSP deny already though.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:No, it would be a bit of reach. 159/2.45 (3.76 degree), lots of softs. Awful early grades, few years off working in politics, then 3.8+ after going back. I have gotten into two LSP deny already though.
Then blow tons of smoke up their ass.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:07 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:So I'm applying to a T2 law school simply because my fianceé is also applying to a PhD program there. Seriously, nothing more than that.
I don't think you actually want to go to law school. You want a quarter million dollars of debt... for what?

If YOU don't have a real reason to attend, you're going to have an awfully hard time convincing an admissions committee that you do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joshuajsmith

New

Post by joshuajsmith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:10 pm

TripTrip wrote:
joshuajsmith wrote:So I'm applying to a T2 law school simply because my fianceé is also applying to a PhD program there. Seriously, nothing more than that.
I don't think you actually want to go to law school. You want a quarter million dollars of debt... for what?

If YOU don't have a real reason to attend, you're going to have an awfully hard time convincing an admissions committee that you do.
Let me clarify. I REALLY want to go to law school. This isn't a general interest in law school essay. This is an interest in this PARTICULAR law school essay.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:20 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Let me clarify. I REALLY want to go to law school. This isn't a general interest in law school essay. This is an interest in this PARTICULAR law school essay.
Then blow smoke. They just want to know that you know what you're getting yourself into and have done your research.

I'll be applying to fourteen schools and writing "Why X?" essays for eight of them. You're applying to one school and writing one essay about why you want to go there. Mention the real reason - that your fiance is going there - but also talk about special programs at the school, etc.

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:No, it would be a bit of reach. 159/2.45 (3.76 degree), lots of softs. Awful early grades, few years off working in politics, then 3.8+ after going back. I have gotten into two LSP deny already though.
I'm curious, which lsp denies did you get into?

joshuajsmith

New

Post by joshuajsmith » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Drexel and LSU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:Drexel and LSU.

I thought you were in at LSU.

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Zoomie wrote:

he did. i asked which lsp denies did he get IN to.

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:28 am

potterpirate04 wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

he did. i asked which lsp denies did he get IN to.

Yea, forgive me. I just skimmed the thread. :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”