advice for an expunged arrest record Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ineedapillow

New

advice for an expunged arrest record

Post by Ineedapillow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 am

First, I am a female...I saw some reply thought I were a guy so I have to make this clear.
Some schools ask for arrest records even they are expunged, I have no intention to hide it but I have an unusual case, so please someone give me some advice.
2 years ago, I was visiting my girlfriend at Miami beach, after a crazy party we got very drunk. We met a guy there and said something very stupid to him, then he showed his badge told us we are arrested for ' misdemeanor solicitation to commit prostitution.'. He asked us to sign a paper then he left, we were not physically arrested or booked. a couple of months later I went to court, all charges dismissed due to lack of evidence. Later the court ordered to expunge my arrest record.
At that time, I worked for a law firm and I was married, so it was no way I would commit a crime like that. My lawyer told me it won't affect me since all charges were dismissed and the arrest record was expunged, by law I don't need to disclose it to anyone unless there is a court order.
Now I know I have to disclose it in my application, I feel so stupid and embarrassed now, and I need some advice on how to word this whole situation, and how bad this will hurt my application.
Btw, I didn't get fired or divorced because of this incidence.
Thanks.
Last edited by Ineedapillow on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ineedapillow

New

Re: advice for an expunged arrest record

Post by Ineedapillow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 am

At that time, I did ask my lawyer if we can go trial for wrongful arrest. But he said first it would be very expensive , secondly, juries generally don't have sympathy for people under this kind of charge, if we lost the trial I will be convicted and that will in my record forever.

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:45 am

Ineedapillow wrote:Some schools ask for arrest records even they are expunged, I have no intention to hide it but I have an unusual case, so please someone give me some advice.
2 years ago, I was visiting my girlfriend at Miami beach, after a crazy party we got very drunk. We met a guy there and said something very stupid to him, then he showed his badge told us we are arrested for ' misdemeanor solicitation to commit prostitution.'. He asked us to sign a paper then he left, we were not physically arrested or booked. a couple of months later I went to court, all charges dismissed due to lack of evidence. Later the court ordered to expunge my arrest record.
At that time, I worked for a law firm and I was married, so it was no way I would commit a crime like that. My lawyer told me it won't affect me since all charges were dismissed and the arrest record was expunged, by law I don't need to disclose it to anyone unless there is a court order.
Now I know I have to disclose it in my application, I feel so stupid and embarrassed now, and I need some advice on how to word this whole situation, and how bad this will hurt my application.
Btw, I didn't get fired or divorced because of this incidence.
Thanks.

You were married and visiting your girlfriend in Miami and made a sexual innuendo to a police officer and your wife was okay with this? Hmm....Do you have to disclose it if the charges were dismissed?

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 am

Ineedapillow wrote:At that time, I did ask my lawyer if we can go trial for wrongful arrest. But he said first it would be very expensive , secondly, juries generally don't have sympathy for people under this kind of charge, if we lost the trial I will be convicted and that will in my record forever.

Aren't you the same guy that can't drive worth a shit because you didn't know American traffic laws?

Ineedapillow

New

Post by Ineedapillow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:53 am

I am a female. I don't know why you think I am a guy...
Zoomie wrote:
Ineedapillow wrote:At that time, I did ask my lawyer if we can go trial for wrongful arrest. But he said first it would be very expensive , secondly, juries generally don't have sympathy for people under this kind of charge, if we lost the trial I will be convicted and that will in my record forever.

Aren't you the same guy that can't drive worth a shit because you didn't know American traffic laws?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:57 am

Ineedapillow wrote:I am a female. I don't know why you think I am a guy...
Zoomie wrote:

lol...you missed the point, LADY!

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 am

Zoomie wrote:

but it does make much more sense that you were visiting a girlfriend. I just assumed you were a guy, I don't typically refer to my friends as girlfriends.

Ineedapillow

New

Post by Ineedapillow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 am

Please give me some useful advice, I just talked to my lawyer he said I don't need to put too many details, just when and what happened and what is the result are enough..but I don't trust his judgement that much :(
Zoomie wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 am

Ineedapillow wrote:Please give me some useful advice, I just talked to my lawyer he said I don't need to put too many details, just when and what happened and what is the result are enough..but I don't trust his judgement that much :(
Zoomie wrote:
Zoomie wrote:

Do just that then. If the school requires it (one of mine did and I had to write up a little statement for a traffic ticket I received for speeding 3 years ago), then do just that write a short statement about the circumstances that surrounded the event. I would not place blame on anyone else but chalk it up to a misunderstanding and that you were not convicted and the charge was dismissed from court and the court ordered it expunged. As far as will it hurt? I would think only if you were a borderline applicant could it possibly hurt your chances. Now you state that you have traffic violations and another arrest? Not a great track record though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ineedapillow

New

Post by Ineedapillow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:10 am

I know, that traffic violation and that arrest happened in two month, I was my lawyer's favorite client that time.
In my traffic violation addendum I said' I take full responsibility ', but I don't think I can say the same thing for this one.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:31 am

Oh lawdy. I read this through earlier and didn't respond because it sounded like you're a guy who had a drunken ongoing affair and was charged with trying to hire a prostitute from a pimp.

This makes so much more sense now that you have revealed your gender.

If the school specifically asks you to disclose expunged and dismissed cases, do that. Otherwise you'll have to worry about BAR investigators finding it. If they don't ask for expunged/dismissed, then leave it off.

Ineedapillow

New

Post by Ineedapillow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 am

I am gonna disclose it if school asked. But I just want to know how to word it and how bad it will affect my applications.
Why people all think I am a guy, you don't call your female friend 'girlfriend'?
TripTrip wrote:Oh lawdy. I read this through earlier and didn't respond because it sounded like you're a guy who had a drunken ongoing affair and was charged with trying to hire a prostitute from a pimp.

If the school specifically asks you to disclose expunged and dismissed cases, do that. Otherwise you'll have to worry about BAR investigators finding it. If they don't ask for expunged/dismissed, then leave it off.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am

I think everyone here just assumes you're a guy because this site has more men than women. It's the internet, after all.

On wording, I would just be as brief and vague as you can be without being deceptive. A few sentences about a misunderstanding and the dropped charges. Just make it sound as boring, mundane, dry, and uninteresting. Your goal is to make it forgettable.

Good: "There was a miscommunication"
Bad: "I said 'I'll suck your D for $50'

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 am

TripTrip wrote:Oh lawdy. I read this through earlier and didn't respond because it sounded like you're a guy who had a drunken ongoing affair and was charged with trying to hire a prostitute from a pimp.

See THANK YOU!!! I'm not the only one who thought you were a dude!

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:35 am

Ineedapillow wrote: Why people all think I am a guy, you don't call your female friend 'girlfriend'?

No

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”