Past history of mental illness. Character and Fitness. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eric922

Bronze

Past history of mental illness. Character and Fitness.

Post by eric922 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 pm

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where to put this and since I'm just getting started applying for law school I thought this place might be as good as any. When I was 16 I suffered from extreme depression and tried to commit suicide. However, the head psychiatrist of the hospital released me the next day after talking to me and said based on the circumstances of what happened, such as the fact that I almost immediately called for help and realized it was a foolish mistake, that I wasn't a danger to myself. He did say not to leave me alone for a few months and I had to see him once every 6 months, but that is all and I haven't seen him in over a year now. By the time I graduate from law school it will have been at least a decade, if not longer, without any mental health problems and if needed I could prove that by meeting with a doctor. From what I've read most jurisdictions only look at your "current" mental state to determine if there is anything that would prohibit you from practicing law and there isn't currently anything mentally wrong with me and as I said I could prove it if needed. I am going to double check with the Bar Associations of states I want to practice in, but I wouldn't think something that happened over a decade ago when I was a minor would disqualify me. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice about this matter.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Past history of mental illness. Character and Fitness.

Post by Nova » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:14 am

Youre fine

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

You do not need to worry. In fact, your experience should help in the practice of law (or in just about any other profession) because you'll be more sensitive to the difficulties & challenges faced in life by others. Don't worry about a thing.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 am

Just trying to echo what the posters said above to help reassure you. Worst case scenario, they ask you for more info and get a letter from your treating doc (and since you were released and haven't had issues since, I can't imagine the bar would care.)

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:07 am

Nova wrote:Youre fine
Seriously. Unless you want JAG, what Nova said.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”