First-Time LSAT Takers (Feb 2013) Applying for Fall 2013 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jlx

New

First-Time LSAT Takers (Feb 2013) Applying for Fall 2013

Post by jlx » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:00 am

Anyone out there taking the LSAT for the first time in February 2013? And if so, are you also applying for fall 2013 admission?

I feel like I'm cutting it a bit close with some of the deadlines, especially ones for March 1st. I've also read conflicting information where it is better to apply earlier in the cycle, and also better to apply later in the cycle, especially if your stats aren't up to par.

Thoughts?

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Re: First-Time LSAT Takers (Feb 2013) Applying for Fall 2013

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:28 pm

I feel like I'm cutting it a bit close with some of the deadlines, especially ones for March 1st.
You're not cutting it "close," you are completely missing the deadlines. The score release date is March 6th. Though scores are typically released slightly early (aside from Oct 2012), it's only by a couple days. There is literally zero chance of your score coming out before March 1st.

Wait until next cycle to apply. Even if you managed to make it in at the last minute (for the March 15th deadlines), your chances are SEVERELY hurt when you apply that late in the cycle. Most schools have filled their classes already and the scholarship money is largely already gone. Have your apps ready to send in on Day 1, making sure they're all in by Oct-Nov at the latest.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 pm

jlx wrote:I've also read conflicting information where it is better to apply earlier in the cycle, and also better to apply later in the cycle, especially if your stats aren't up to par.
Source?

Also, this:
You're not cutting it "close," you are completely missing the deadlines. The score release date is March 6th. Though scores are typically released slightly early (aside from Oct 2012), it's only by a couple days. There is literally zero chance of your score coming out before March 1st.

Wait until next cycle to apply. Even if you managed to make it in at the last minute (for the March 15th deadlines), your chances are SEVERELY hurt when you apply that late in the cycle. Most schools have filled their classes already and the scholarship money is largely already gone. Have your apps ready to send in on Day 1, making sure they're all in by Oct-Nov at the latest.

jlx

New

Post by jlx » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:47 pm

no specific source. just a bunch of different articles i've read from admissions deans, posts from this forum, etc.

what if money weren't an issue, and i was only applying to TT or TTT schools?

(i also do not want to wait another year.)

edit: the schools also mentioned that they accept February LSAT scores.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:48 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
I feel like I'm cutting it a bit close with some of the deadlines, especially ones for March 1st.

This is not entirely true. Some schools will tell you to submit your application before taking the Feb. LSAT and send an email requesting a "full" review once your scores have been released (submit app, send email right after submitting); meaning, "look over my app, but please, please hold for my scores." I know the rolling admissions process factors greatly in this as well, but to assert OP has practically "zero" chance, thus negating a strong app and a great score, albeit it late, is misleading.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:54 pm

edit: the schools also mentioned that they accept February LSAT scores.
Right! There is a thread on here somewhere that list the schools willing to accept the Feb LSAT. I don't think it's a complete list, but it's a great source/ starting point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”