schools' mean LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dbt

Silver

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Post by dbt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 pm

danconstan wrote:Regarding the importance of your undegraduate institution...Several years ago I had the privalege of seeing a copy of a document used by a top professional school to weigh the GPA of its applicants for internal admissions purposes. It was a list of schools grouped into multiple tiers. The top tier (about 15 schools) had 0.6 added to the GPA. The bottom tier had 0.4 or 0.6 (don't remember exactly) subtracted from their GPA. Thus a 3.0 at Harvard (obviously in the top group) was regarded as a 3.6, whereas a 3.0 at "X" College in the bottom tier was regarded as a 2.4 or a 2.6. I remember being very surprised at how drastic the differences were!
No offense, but that is incredibly doubtful. Regardless of what schools "feel" concerning your GPA, ultimately they would have to report a 3.0 to LSAC and USNews, and GPA differences weigh quite a bit more heavily in ranking than even the LSAT. I could imagine them maybe bumping certain schools like Swat, Chicago, etc. up .1/.2, but Harvard and the like are already known for an easier grading system, so why on earth would they get even more of a bump. Moreover, many lower schools (particularly state schools) are known for a harder grading system.

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 pm

No offense taken. I know it was real and I was pretty surprised. This was 8 years ago, and it was not a law school. I agree about Harvard's GPA, but it was in the top group nontheless. THe top group was all the Ivys except for one I think, Stanford and a few other non-ivy universities, and several of the top liberal arts colleges.

I would not translate this directly to law school applications today, but the point remains that undegrad school matters a lot in how law schools weigh GPAs.

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:25 pm

danconstan wrote:No offense taken. I know it was real and I was pretty surprised. This was 8 years ago, and it was not a law school. I agree about Harvard's GPA, but it was in the top group nontheless. THe top group was all the Ivys except for one I think, Stanford and a few other non-ivy universities, and several of the top liberal arts colleges.

I would not translate this directly to law school applications today, but the point remains that undegrad school matters a lot in how law schools weigh GPAs.
Regarding the importance of your work experience...Several years ago I had the privilege of seeing a copy of a document used by a top professional school to evaluate the strength of its applicants for internal admissions purposes. It was a chart of jobs grouped into multiple tiers. The top tier (about 15 jobs) had 20 points * years (up to 5 years). The bottom tier had 5 or 7 points (don't remember exactly) added to their index. Thus a 2.4 or 2.6 at McKinsey (obviously in the top group) was equivalent to a 3.6 at "X" McDonalds. I remember being very surprised at how drastic the differences were!

I would not translate this directly to law school applications today, but the point remains that work experience matters a lot in how law schools weigh your application. And BTW, they don't really care about the LSAT at all.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:27 pm

danconstan wrote:I would not translate this directly to law school applications today, but the point remains that undegrad school matters a lot in how law schools weigh GPAs.
I really don't think this is true. I was a low-GPA splitter who came out of a totally unknown flyover-state UG. If what you say were true, I would never have gotten in the places I did.

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Hitachi wrote:
danconstan wrote:No offense taken. I know it was real and I was pretty surprised. This was 8 years ago, and it was not a law school. I agree about Harvard's GPA, but it was in the top group nontheless. THe top group was all the Ivys except for one I think, Stanford and a few other non-ivy universities, and several of the top liberal arts colleges.

Regarding the importance of your work experience...Several years ago I had the privilege of seeing a copy of a document used by a top professional school to evaluate the strength of its applicants for internal admissions purposes. It was a chart of jobs grouped into multiple tiers. The top tier (about 15 jobs) had 20 points * years (up to 5 years). The bottom tier had 5 or 7 points (don't remember exactly) added to their index. Thus a 2.4 or 2.6 at McKinsey (obviously in the top group) was equivalent to a 3.6 at "X" McDonalds. I remember being very surprised at how drastic the differences were!

I would not translate this directly to law school applications today, but the point remains that work experience matters a lot in how law schools weigh your application. And BTW, they don't really care about the LSAT at all.
What I said was that "undegrad school matters a lot in how law schools weigh GPAs", which is obviously only one factor of your application. Read more carefully...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:42 pm

danconstan wrote:
Hitachi wrote:

What I said was that "undegrad school matters a lot in how law schools weigh GPAs", which is obviously only one factor of your application. Read more carefully...
Yes, proving it by something you saw in med school admissions. I proved by the same logic that work experience is crucial in law school admissions (since I saw it in business school admissions). You must have been a whiz at LR.

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 pm

How come no one's noticed the sarcastic sentiment of Hitachi's post yet?

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm

biggamejames wrote:
danconstan wrote:I would not translate this directly to law school applications today, but the point remains that undegrad school matters a lot in how law schools weigh GPAs.
I really don't think this is true. I was a low-GPA splitter who came out of a totally unknown flyover-state UG. If what you say were true, I would never have gotten in the places I did.
Using your specific situation to make a general conclusion, especially in the absence of any kind of details, is not very informative.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 pm

danconstan wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Using your specific situation to make a general conclusion, especially in the absence of any kind of details, is not very informative.
Go to the splitter thread and look at their (mostly similar) experiences.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:19 pm

darkarmour wrote:How come no one's noticed the sarcastic sentiment of Hitachi's post yet?
Poor attempt at sarcasm since his example doesn't weaken my comparison. An applicant's GPA IS highly important for both law school and the type professional school I discussed so a comparison can be justifiably made. Work experience is not as important for law school so his attempt fails to show that I shouldn't be comparing between the two types of schools.

danconstan

New

Post by danconstan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:36 pm

biggamejames wrote:
danconstan wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
Go to the splitter thread and look at their (mostly similar) experiences.

A high score on a standardized exam such as the LSAT that directly compares everyone can obviously make-up quite a bit for a GPA deficiency due to a low GPA or an undergrad intitution with a low academic reputation. I am not saying that the numbers indicated in my original post should be directly translated to current law school admissions. However, considering that law school and the type of professional school I discussed place similar emphasis on GPA and a standardized test and relatively little empahsis on other factors I think it is a useful comparison. I posted what I remember about that document thinking some may find it helpful for application purposes...use it as you will.

coolio

New

Post by coolio » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:25 pm

i am pretty sure that the LSAT mean listed on the academic report is graduation year specific. i graduated a few years ago, and the mean for my school is different from the one listed at the beginning of this thread.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm

can anyone tell me where i might find the mean LSAT statistics for the University of Phoenix (diploma mill, not the law school)....a friend of mine is a loud mouth who brags that UoP is a stellar institution...i would LOVE to find out how their students do on the LSAT....is there a way to get this info?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bishopus

New

Post by bishopus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Sarah Lawrence 154.

I like to think it's low out of spite.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 am

flhealth wrote:can anyone tell me where i might find the mean LSAT statistics for the University of Phoenix (diploma mill, not the law school)....a friend of mine is a loud mouth who brags that UoP is a stellar institution...i would LOVE to find out how their students do on the LSAT....is there a way to get this info?
UMUC (an online institution with a better rep than Phoenix) is something like 145. I'd estimate University of Phoenix is around 140.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 am

Northern Arizona 151.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 am

Does every school list an average number on the Academic Summary report? Mine just lists a breakdown by number of takers in each percentile range. Out of 103 recorded LSAT scores, my 164 was the second highest. (Ever?) One person scored above the 95th, and beat me.

I had a respectable GPA at that school (not on the list, since I have no data to add. But it would seem the median score was between the 25th and the 29th percentile.) FWIW, my school rocks for design, but is not exactly known for providing a rigorous liberal arts education. ...Am I screwed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 am

If a GPA bump exists for applicants from schools that are assumed to be prestigious and non-inflationary, does that mean a corresponding ding exists for applicants from "bad" schools? Can they do that? Or do I need to find something new to worry about?

express01

New

Post by express01 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:46 am

Amherst: 162
Williams: 164

Larry Tate

New

Post by Larry Tate » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:53 am

Does this mean SAT chart correlate to the school's LSAT mean ? It's pretty interesting

http://www.ordoludus.com/6.html

pseudonymous1

New

Post by pseudonymous1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 pm

express01 wrote:Amherst: 162
Williams: 164

Blatant Williams troll.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jcswc6

New

Post by jcswc6 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:57 pm

Mizzou (University of Missouri-Columbia)

jaudette

New

Post by jaudette » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:00 pm

jcswc6 wrote:Mizzou (University of Missouri-Columbia)
That's quite the bump.

Ranita

New

Post by Ranita » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 pm

jaudette wrote:
jcswc6 wrote:Mizzou (University of Missouri-Columbia)
That's quite the bump.
I suppose the more data the better.

So I checked out my school:
United States Military Academy (West Point) - 157

and this one was on my transcript review because of some high school classes:
SUNY Albany - 151

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:39 pm

revised
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”