New member with a question or two Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swhiz

New

New member with a question or two

Post by swhiz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey TLS,

I have been lurking for a while and finally registered. some info about me:

senior at John Jay/CUNY with a 3.9 GPA
BA/History
Never took LSATs

What are my chances (with a solid LSAT score and a polished statement) of getting into CLS or NYU? Does being a CUNY student carry a hidden (or conspicuous) stigma amongst adcoms in these schools?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: New member with a question or two

Post by WhiteyCakes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Get the LSAT first, then visit lawschoolnumbers.com

remix

New

Post by remix » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Where you went UG doesn't matter unless you went to HYP.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Play with this --LinkRemoved--

swhiz

New

Post by swhiz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Ooh! Numbers! Thanks Whitey!

Phew, I thought adcoms from top schools are biased, like everyone on earth, but they lean more toward private university undergrads, since those students have had better preparation. CUNY is, after all, open to everyone, and even my professors quietly mutter that it would be better if this was not the case since they see a fair share of students don't even attempt to put in effort.

Thanks, helix...this will keep me occupied for at least a half an hour a day =)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swhiz

New

Post by swhiz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm

I will tackle the LSAT eventually but I need a nice block of time, something I have not had in quite a while. Gleaning from other posts, I have found that these are a must:

Powerscore reasoning bible
Powerscore reasoning bible workbook
Powerscore logic games bible
Powerscore logic games bible workbook

Manhattan LSAT set of 3 (logical reasoning, logic games, reading comprehension)

Am I missing something?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 pm

this guy got a 179 so he must be onto something:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=195603

swhiz

New

Post by swhiz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 pm

^ favorited. You guys are the best.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:51 pm

swhiz wrote:

Phew, I thought adcoms from top schools are biased, like everyone on earth, but they lean more toward private university undergrads, since those students have had better preparation. CUNY is, after all, open to everyone, and even my professors quietly mutter that it would be better if this was not the case since they see a fair share of students don't even attempt to put in effort.
This is not the case at all as far as law school admissions go, so no need for you to worry.

By the way, there are plenty of subpar "diploma mills" that are privately run, as there are state schools that make you really work for every A on your transcript. Not that it really matters where you went for UG, though, as others have said - it comes down to your GPA in the end.

swhiz

New

Post by swhiz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Thank you for allaying my fears. CUNY by no stretch of the imagination hands out A's, and at least it is not a diploma mill.

fatpeopleavenger

Bronze

Post by fatpeopleavenger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm

swhiz wrote:Thank you for allaying my fears. CUNY by no stretch of the imagination hands out A's, and at least it is not a diploma mill.
Hate to tell you this but a lot of CUNY schools are degree mills and John Jay's probably the biggest degree mill in all of CUNY system.

John Jay's median LSAT is 142-143 range which is as bad as it gets. But this doesn't mean you cannot do well. I know a guy from John Jay who's attending a T14 school and a guy attending Fordham.

I've also heard JJ graduates attending Pace, NYLS, and CUNY Law.

swhiz

New

Post by swhiz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

That is the first time I heard of J Jay being a degree mill. I know that there are more students getting criminal justice or forensic psychology degrees than any other, and that these students are primarily underachievers. Of all the majors, these two have the worst students, which I picked up through candid discussions with my professors about the ability/inability of students that declared these majors. The statistical average GPA for these majors is something like 2.9.

I avoided these majors and chose history, which is a relatively new major in this school. I purposely took classes like calculus and statistics to show rigor. There are some outstanding faculty members in this school as compared to other CUNY schools, and most members with tenure have taught in a private setting before making their way to CUNY (perhaps unwillingly, but who knows). I have been to several CUNY campuses and I do my research before taking a class, not only through the usual channels but through faculty friends in particular departments.

I appreciate you letting me know that this school is the worst of them all, and from now on I will try even harder to earn distinction but from my experience (BMCC, CCNY, Hunter) there is no CUNY that runs more like a well-oiled machine than J Jay. With CUNY, if you don't do the legwork, you may as well settle for a pos GPA. By that I mean each and every class you take, you better damn well know that the professor is fair and unbiased. Some professors never, ever hand out A grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”