Professor asks what to write on reference letter Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrNiceGuy35

New

Professor asks what to write on reference letter

Post by MrNiceGuy35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm

One of the professors who I asked to write a reference letter for me has asked me what I'd like him to write. Essentially, it seems he's willing to write whatever is best for my acceptance, of course without lying. I was a top-notch graduate student in his classes and others; I graduated with a 3.99 GPA. I typically turned in my work early, indiciating good time management. I was usually applauded for my good writing and analytical thinking skills. I'd like to ask him to write about these characteristics....but what else? Any suggestions are appreciated.

helix23

Gold

Re: Professor asks what to write on reference letter

Post by helix23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm

MrNiceGuy35 wrote: I typically turned in my work early, indiciating good time management. I was usually applauded for my good writing and analytical thinking skills.
Irony! JK

I would assume a good recommendation letter would do two things: 1) explain his personal experience teaching you and why you were a good student and 2) why, based on #1, you will be a successful in law school and a good addition to the class.

MrNiceGuy35

New

Post by MrNiceGuy35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm

Hehe, yep, spelling errors and improper use of the word "good" = "good writing!" LOL :P I'll have to be more careful writing these posts!!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 pm

MrNiceGuy35 wrote:Hehe, yep, spelling errors and improper use of the word "good" = "good writing!" LOL :P I'll have to be more careful writing these posts!!
It's the internet. I was really just messing with you.

MrNiceGuy35

New

Post by MrNiceGuy35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:58 pm

No problem, I deserved it ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DougieFresh

New

Post by DougieFresh » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Bump.

I had a professor write me back and ask the same thing. Any input would be valued.

Going out on a limb here from some of the Dean interviews, a good LOR should explain why the student will be successful in law school. I remember in one interview, the Dean said something like, "we look for students who love to learn, students who are passionate in their intellectual pursuits."

I was thinking about responding to my prof. to keep this in mind, because I feel like it describes me well and is part of what the adcoms are looking for.

Thoughts?

MrNiceGuy35

New

Post by MrNiceGuy35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm

DougieFresh wrote:Bump.

I had a professor write me back and ask the same thing. Any input would be valued.

Going out on a limb here from some of the Dean interviews, a good LOR should explain why the student will be successful in law school. I remember in one interview, the Dean said something like, "we look for students who love to learn, students who are passionate in their intellectual pursuits."

I was thinking about responding to my prof. to keep this in mind, because I feel like it describes me well and is part of what the adcoms are looking for.

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me, bust of course since I'm the OP with the question, I don't know definitively if it's useful.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:25 am

I was asked this when I applied. I used the school profiles on here to help provide a profile of what schools are generally looking for, and I just explained what schools find important. I did use what was mentioned above re: dean interviews and asked that there was a clear message about my potential to succeed (as opposed to "she's smart").

MrNiceGuy35

New

Post by MrNiceGuy35 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I sent my former professor a nice email that essentially gave a bulleted list of items I thought were important with a statement something like, "I believe these characteristics define me, if you agree please include them."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”