Volunteering vs Internships Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Darmody

Bronze

Volunteering vs Internships

Post by Darmody » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:45 pm

I've heard that law school admissions look more favorably upon volunteering work than internships. Is this true?

I know that it's all about the GPA and LSAT, but other factors make small differences. I am currently an intern for a top 5 law firm according to survey by partners, survey by associates and Vault rankings, but I'm not sure if I should devote so much of my time for the internship or if I should balance it out with volunteering. Advise me.

Platinum

Re: Volunteering vs Internships

Post by 2014 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:46 pm

They don't care either way it's just a resume line. Typically volunteer work is something people are passionate about and would choose to write a PS about, but that doesn't mean law schools prefer it.

If you are paid at your current internship continue to do that as much as you can.

Darmody

Bronze

Post by Darmody » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 pm

2014 wrote:They don't care either way it's just a resume line. Typically volunteer work is something people are passionate about and would choose to write a PS about, but that doesn't mean law schools prefer it.

If you are paid at your current internship continue to do that as much as you can.
Yes, it is a paid internship. I don't know how long I will continue, but I'll most likely complete a year if not more.

Bump for further input (if necessary)

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:44 pm

I don't think it will make the least bit of difference. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to volunteer for free. Good job landing your internship! If you're worried, do some volunteering on the weekends with an organization you care about!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:46 pm

AlanShore wrote:I don't think it will make the least bit of difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”