CFA and law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zebra6777

New

CFA and law school

Post by zebra6777 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 am

Hello all,

I am applying to law school and previously took (and passed) CFA L1. It is the only part of my resume that has to do with business/finance, and it is not at all relevant to what I state I am interested in doing in my personal statement.

Should I not include it in my law school app resume, because it makes it appear that I am a wandering and out of focus?

Or should I keep it in, because it is a difficult test and shows, at the very least, the ability to digest and memorize a lot of concepts?

Thanks for your advice!

Danteshek

Gold

Re: CFA and law school

Post by Danteshek » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Sure, but don't expect anyone to be particularly impressed.

(I passed L2 in 2008 and the only thing that has earned me mileage in interviews has been my industry experience)

zebra6777

New

Post by zebra6777 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Danteshek wrote:Sure, but don't expect anyone to be particularly impressed.

(I passed L2 in 2008 and the only thing that has earned me mileage in interviews has been my industry experience)
Oh I'm surprised, given the difficulty of the CFA (esp L2 and L3, given those are not just memorizing trivia but applying the concepts)

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 pm

The only employer that might want you to have CFA is SEC (see their latest Strategic Plan). But then again, SEC wants attorneys with industry experience and a real understanding of how the financial services industry works, not fresh faced nubes. Knowing and applying financial concepts simply does not get you there.

zebra6777

New

Post by zebra6777 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Danteshek wrote:The only employer that might want you to have CFA is SEC (see their latest Strategic Plan). But then again, SEC wants attorneys with industry experience and a real understanding of how the financial services industry works, not fresh faced nubes. Knowing and applying financial concepts simply does not get you there.
I'm not interested in using it to get a job, just wondering if I should include it in my law school app resume

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 pm

zebra6777 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:The only employer that might want you to have CFA is SEC (see their latest Strategic Plan). But then again, SEC wants attorneys with industry experience and a real understanding of how the financial services industry works, not fresh faced nubes. Knowing and applying financial concepts simply does not get you there.
I'm not interested in using it to get a job, just wondering if I should include it in my law school app resume
If that's the case then I think the easy answer is yes, probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”