Employment History vs. Resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ludo!

Gold

Re: Employment History vs. Resume

Post by Ludo! » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Are you putting every job you've ever had on your resume? Unless you've only had 1 or 2 jobs you're probably doing it wrong

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 pm

It's a test to see if you're willing to do repetitive tasks

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:14 pm

You put EVERY single job you've ever had on your resume? That's weird. In your case yeah you are probably going to have to reenter a lot of data. I think that question is designed for most people who only put a few of their most relevant jobs on their resume.

DougieFresh

New

Post by DougieFresh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 pm

bump.

As someone who always had one or two part time jobs while at school, and then FT plus other PT jobs after school. Unless a school has a strong pizza law program, I dont think my part time work experience is all that relevant.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 pm

DougieFresh wrote:bump.

As someone who always had one or two part time jobs while at school, and then FT plus other PT jobs after school. Unless a school has a strong pizza law program, I dont think my part time work experience is all that relevant.
It's not relevant, that's why you don't put it on your resume. But you have to list it all for the bar, so some schools want to see it on the application

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 pm

maybe they want it for the state bar in the future? i could be pullin this outta my ass, but doesn't the bar look into all the jobs you've had?

SCOOPED. I think Ludovico gots it

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:22 pm

DougieFresh wrote:bump.

For this same reason I left off a decade of work experience (off the entire app, not just my resume)

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:23 pm

I would call them up and ask if you can input "Please see attached resume" or something along those lines in the application where they ask for a list.

If that's not possible, just bullet point your employment history, allowing your resume to give the details. So for example:

1. Senior Auditor -- ABC Inc. (Sept 2010 - Present)
2. Junior Auditor -- ABC Inc. (May 2008 - Sept 2010)

...would be listed and the details of each job descrip with be in the attached resume...if you get my drift.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:You put EVERY single job you've ever had on your resume? That's weird. In your case yeah you are probably going to have to reenter a lot of data. I think that question is designed for most people who only put a few of their most relevant jobs on their resume.
Shit, I'm a moron, yeah that Starbucks job back in 1998 isnt on my resume, but everything else I did was all professional and relevant.

In this day and age, after ten years of WE its not uncommon to have a couple of pages worth of resume.
Funny, I was also a barista at Starbucks back in the day and I actually will be listing that experience on my resume, lol. Hey, it's all part of the history and shows my progress from then and now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:32 pm

I've seen some schools' instructions that specifically state that the want you to fill out the entire employment history section even if it's on your resume too. I wouldn't risk looking lazy by writing "please see attached resume." My resume is only "relevant" work or volunteer experience anyways. I'm almost 9 years out of school so it feels ridiculous listing my work as a lifeguard at the campus pool on my application, but I look at is as the law schools wanting to look at my undergrad grades in light of how many hours per week I was working during the school year.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm not too concerned with the handful of jobs I left off the app, they were so petty I actually forgot about them.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 pm

nickb285 wrote:So wait, could there be an issue with the bar if we left some crap job off the application? E.g. I worked as a busboy at a shitty restaurant for two weeks my freshman year of UG and forgot about it till just now; will there be a problem because I didn't put that (or some similar stuff--a couple months at Best Buy, two weeks working for a friend/former boss of mine, that kind of thing) on my law school applications?
I don't think it particularly matters. Someone with more knowledge - doesn't the bar ask for 10 years back?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Wormfather wrote:
nickb285 wrote:oh god now i'm hallucinating
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: :arrow: :shock: :arrow: :twisted:

ProWritten

New

Post by ProWritten » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 pm

There are many reasons for both an application and a resume: We'll begin with two.

You cannot be held accountable to falsehoods on a self-directed document, however, you can be held to the accuracy of a corporation's application wherein you print and sign your name attesting that your representations in the application are true. Again, this is not available on a self-directed document, aka, a resume).

For example, all day long and any day of the week, you can falsely represent in your resume that you were the Editor in Chief of some law journal in 2001 when you were actually one of three proofreaders.

Your signature on the application gives the recruiting authority permission to do a background check, and thus grounds to terminate you when they learn the truth two minutes, or five years later. (Read the language at the bottom of any application--this will clue you).

Next, the rule of thumb is to only provide 10 years of your professional history on a resume, or go back to high school graduation--whichever comes first. You're 30 years old, so giving 10 years should be no problem. Where you did not hold a job, but was a full time student, simply state so. Remember, a career history includes collegiate activity, volunteer work, and freelancing. You're not limited to a compensable tenure.

In this era where background checks really are necessary, it is not unreasonable for recruiters to ask for specifics--twice. So.....if supplying details two or three or four times is a problem.....then you better re-think becoming an attorney, or going into the legal field at all :)

Good luck

~Professionally Written LLC~
www.spammyspam

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 am

Great timing on this thread, I was just about to post regarding this issue.

I don't think anyone's concerned about the time it will actually take to enter, it's more an issue of not having things look inconsistent or too exclusive/inclusive on the resume.

I've been on 14 different payrolls since my undergrad started in 2000, naturally I haven't listed all those on my resume (which TLS implored me to keep to one page), but certain apps simply request you to "list employment". This makes it seem like they want every job you've ever held. My concern is that if I list everything, some schools that weren't collecting this for bar reasons will look down on listing 14 jobs.

I guess I'll err on the side of inclusiveness, but I'm not going to add more than my last/most relevant 4-5 positions on my resume. If anyone else has further clarification to add, thanks in advance.

lever1je

New

Post by lever1je » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 pm

Is there any consensus on the importance in getting dates correct? With some of the jobs I've had I can only remember time periods but not exact months on starting and ending

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:14 pm

lever1je wrote:Is there any consensus on the importance in getting dates correct? With some of the jobs I've had I can only remember time periods but not exact months on starting and ending
Not important if not lying (getting a month wrong is not a big deal, but doubling the length of the job is)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”