What are some law schools with great corporate law programs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HaasBerkeley

New

What are some law schools with great corporate law programs?

Post by HaasBerkeley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm a recent graduate from UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, and have decided to make a transition to law school. I am very eager about studying Corporate Law.

I have been doing a lot of research on my own, and I was wondering if anyone knows of other law schools with "great" corporate law degree programs. I have no clue as to how accurate the list below is: I was surprised to see that Northwestern University was not on there...and I never knew that University of San Diego had an exceptional corporate law degree program. They are ranked 65th on TLS.

Here is the link:

http://education-portal.com/articles/To ... grams.html

remix

New

Re: What are some law schools with great corporate law programs?

Post by remix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Don't go to a school go for a program. If you want to do "corporate law", go to the highest ranked schools.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 pm

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Dude, the fact that you are looking at that site and basing your applications upon its information is utterly horrifying.

That link includes in its list of ten "good corporate law" schools
- San Diego (???)
- Cooley (!!! WTF !!!.... this is widely considered one of the worst law schools on earth of not THE worst)
- University of Richmond (???)

In my opinion, good corporate law programs should be those that give you the best chance of practicing corporate law (isn't this obvious). If this is your goal DO NOT go to any of the above three schools (especially cooley). The only two sites/rankings that mean anything at all are US NEWS and LAW SCHOOL TRANSPARENCY.

The best way to figure out which schools will give you the best chance at a corporate law job, look here and sort schools by "big firm score."

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other&show=jobs

- Northwestern placed 53.3% of its graduates into big firms (typically corporate law)
- San Diego placed 6.9% of its graduates into big firms
- Richmond placed 7.2%
- Cooley placed an embarrassing 0.4% into big firms

Who do you think has a better "corporate law program?" Don't believe everything you read, ESPECIALLY about law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”