Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elee

New

Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Post by elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm

I received this strange email today:
Dear xxx,

Congratulations on your admission to Harvard Law School. You have been admitted to one of the most preeminent institutions of legal education and to be a part of an exciting and vibrant community. One year ago, I was in your shoes and I understand that considering law school can be a challenging and daunting experience. Fortunately, Harvard Law School has numerous affinity groups that provide students with resources and guidance to assist them in this process of transition.
[insert information on a student group at Harvard inviting my membership]

Unfortunately, I have not applied to Harvard Law yet and this email is a mistake/tease. Anything of this sort happen to other members of this forum?

sinfiery

Gold

Re: Received congratulations email from @mail.law.harvard.edu...

Post by sinfiery » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I got the same email

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 pm

What you should do:
Send an email back saying thank you and that you gladly accept. Also let them know you are mailing them your seat deposit. And then mail a seat deposit in to the admissions office.

Maybe that will guilt them into letting you in? (Probably not, but worth the try.)

elee

New

Post by elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 pm

It was an email from a student group even though it was a Harvard mail address. The email admin for that group probably got overzealous. I just wonder how they got my info. I received a second email 40min after that one that was the standard "invite you to apply" from Harvard.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:What you should do:
Send an email back saying thank you and that you gladly accept. Also let them know you are mailing them your seat deposit. And then mail a seat deposit in to the admissions office.
+1. Except that the second email probably destroys reasonable reliance on the offer.

But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress :lol:

[this is not legal advice: meant as satirical commentary only]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abcde12345

Bronze

Post by abcde12345 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Lawquacious wrote:But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress
My plan exactly. Then I'm going to write my PS about how this experience informed my desire to become a lawyer by showing me that legal action can succeed in solving the world's problems.

giantwhale3798

New

Post by giantwhale3798 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
i replied as: Thanks for your kind email, but unfortunately I haven't turned in my application yet, but I will turn in my application to Harvard Law School very soon and hopefully I could be a member of your organization as you said in the email. Thanks!

elee

New

Post by elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:But someone at Harvard is in trouble I think... that is pretty annoying at the very least. Talk about getting your hopes up (even knowing you didn't apply it must have triggered false hope). If anything maybe you could sue for negligent infliction of emotional distress
My plan exactly. Then I'm going to write my PS about how this experience informed my desire to become a lawyer by showing me that legal action can succeed in solving the world's problems.
If someone wants to lead up the suit ill jump in! haha just kidding. good luck to everyone

elee

New

Post by elee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 pm

giantwhale3798 wrote:I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
i replied as: Thanks for your kind email, but unfortunately I haven't turned in my application yet, but I will turn in my application to Harvard Law School very soon and hopefully I could be a member of your organization as you said in the email. Thanks!
I replied in almost the same way but also asked how they obtained my email. I don't think LSAC reports potential candidates to student groups, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

giantwhale3798

New

Post by giantwhale3798 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 pm

elee wrote:
giantwhale3798 wrote:I receive that too. Not sure what that means but I haven't even turned in my application yet.
I replied in almost the same way but also asked how they obtained my email. I don't think LSAC reports potential candidates to student groups, no?
My law school student neighbor told me to use this email as an advantage to let them help me, haha. I don't want to do that.

tsr92

New

Post by tsr92 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 pm

I think the admissions office probably gave the e-mails to various student groups and asked them to reach out to potential applicants. The people that sent the congrats e-mail seem to have misunderstood what they were supposed to be doing.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
:lol:

giantwhale3798

New

Post by giantwhale3798 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm

elee wrote:
I'm curious too. Things are always not as clear as we thought to be. It's like a judge rule a case before any trials, funny, a law school shouldn't do that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elee

New

Post by elee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am

Just got an apology email from them about the mixup

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 am

A group of rejected Northwestern B-School applicants received acceptance letters a few years ago. Some of them withdrew their other applications and were very upset when they learned that they had not been admitted.

That situation was different in that, upon receipt of the offers of admission, the applicants had a reasonable belief that they had been accepted and relied - o their detriment(s) - upon the letters.

I wonder if they sued their way in. More likely, the B-School admissions office offered to forward letters to the other B-Schools advising them of the error, and the other offices reinstated the withdrawn applications for consideration.

I want to look that up and find out how everything turned out.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2008/12 ... pplicants/

--LinkRemoved--

elee

New

Post by elee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 am

Thing is, this email came from a student group congratulating us rather than acting as if they were the body accepting us. Not much we can do but grumble then grovel :roll:

ajr

Bronze

Post by ajr » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:32 am

Oh boy, looks like they have trouble filling their class these days. They have started spamming just like the TTTTs

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”