Spam from LSAC Account? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
collegebum1989

Bronze

Spam from LSAC Account?

Post by collegebum1989 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Got a personalized letter today from a president of a law school student organization congratulating me about my acceptance to their school and encouraging me to join their organization.

THE THING IS....

I haven't even submitted any of my apps yet. I haven't even started an application for the person's school. Has anyone experienced something like this?

My next question is...if I haven't even submitted applications yet, how did this person get my email, figure out my "interest" in applying to law school and then send out a very personalized email?

The school in question is a T6 (not that it matters) but it seems very fishy. Should I notify the school?

Thanks

kylemba

New

Re: Spam from LSAC Account?

Post by kylemba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 pm

I got one from some school I had never heard of offering me scholarship money. I haven't applied anywhere either.. seemed kinda odd. I figure any school offering me money with my LSAT score is obviously crazy.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:24 pm

it was H wasn't it?

i had it too

think it was a mistake, haven't applied either

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 pm

sinfiery wrote:it was H wasn't it?

i had it too

think it was a mistake, haven't applied either
Yeah, definitely a mistake. But how did someone obtain my email to send me this? It doesn't make sense. Even if it was an actual email sent by a person, how did H get my email to begin with?

This might be a automated phishing email sent from the school's email system being hacked. Then again, the email was very specific, so I'm still confused.

lol.

hq2x

New

Post by hq2x » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Did you register for CRS? If so your LSAT score/GPA (at least the one you report in the CRS section) and e-mail can all be seen by law schools, even if you don't have any active applications yet. IIRC the letter was accidentally sent out by students who were supposed to encourage prospectives to apply, rather than notify them of acceptance. If this is the case, they might have relied on CRS to some degree to pick out those candidates they were supposed to encourage to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”