Choose One, If Your Interest In All These Fields Were Equal Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Choose One, If You Were Equally Interested in All

1) T20 Law School, full debt
9%
2) T20 MBA program, full debt
6%
3) T20 MS in Computer Science, full debt
6%
4) T20 MS in Engineering, full debt
12%
5) PhD in Mathematics, fully-funded and stipend
52%
6) PhD in Clinical Psychology, fully-funded and stipend
15%

Total votes: 33

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Choose One, If Your Interest In All These Fields Were Equal

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Assuming you were equally interested in all the following fields and weren't already committed to any of the following programs, which of the following programs would you choose?

I know the poll assumes a lot because interest is obviously important in the real world and it assumes that the same person has the opportunity to complete any of these options, but try to assume equal interest and that all these options are currently open to you.

Also, I intentionally left out MD because I think most people would choose that option in comparison to the others. But if you want to comment on the fact that you would take that option or some other in the thread, please do. Please assume that the MD would leave you with 100k more of debt than the most expensive option listed in the poll though.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Re: Choose One, If Your Interest In All These Fields Were Equal

Post by BeenDidThat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Assuming you were equally interested in all the following fields and weren't already committed to any of the following programs, which of the following programs would you choose?

I know the poll assumes a lot because interest is obviously important in the real world and it assumes that the same person has the opportunity to complete any of these options, but try to assume equal interest and that all these options are currently open to you.

Also, I intentionally left out MD because I think most people would choose that option in comparison to the others. But if you want to comment on the fact that you would take that option or some other in the thread, please do. Please assume that the MD would leave you with 100k more of debt than the most expensive option listed in the poll though.
I picked the mathematics PhD. A respectable field with good crossover to a variety of other disciplines, and if you've got the mind for it, you are in pretty damn rarified air when it comes to raw intelligence, so you shouldn't have trouble finding some kind of employment.

Note: I'm also a law student (duh), so I might be off on the employment assertion.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm

How about T14 law school or M7 MBA? T20 is not only an arbitrary number, it can also include relatively useless schools.

I picked PhD in math because it can lead to a lucrative career in finance (they love math geeks)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Moved out of Legal Employment where it didn't belong.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Seems as if the poll is pre-determined to select a PhD due to full funding & stipend. Consider reducing the number of law schools & MBA schools to T-14 or T-16 or T-18 law schools & T-10 MBA schools. That should be enough to get some to rethink their choice.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:30 pm

I picked clinical psych. I think that degree allows you to demonstrate quant skills while opening up a few more options than the Math PhD. The other options are pretty lousy. If you had put NU with 150k I would have picked that over all the others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”