Letter of Rec from student? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ALgooner

Bronze

Letter of Rec from student?

Post by ALgooner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 pm

So I know this sounds dumb, but hear me out please! I am part of a student run microfinance nonprofit. The CEO is a student, and I am thinking about asking him to write me a letter of rec. I volunteer for this nonprofit around 10 hours a week, so it is a pretty significant investment of my time, and I wanted to reflect that in my application. It is listed in my resume and talked about in my PS, so I thought it might be good to continue the theme and have a letter of rec from my "boss" there.

Anyone have any advice on this?

mmbt123

New

Re: Letter of Rec from student?

Post by mmbt123 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 pm

personally i vote no. if you address it in your ps and resume, it should be sufficient and 10 hrs a week won't seem like such an investment when you're compared against students who work 24 hrs+.

also from what ive read, rec letters are used to evaluate your academic credentials so i don't knwo how this would help in that respect.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 pm

ALgooner wrote:So I know this sounds dumb, but hear me out please! I am part of a student run microfinance nonprofit. The CEO is a student, and I am thinking about asking him to write me a letter of rec. I volunteer for this nonprofit around 10 hours a week, so it is a pretty significant investment of my time, and I wanted to reflect that in my application. It is listed in my resume and talked about in my PS, so I thought it might be good to continue the theme and have a letter of rec from my "boss" there.

You don't have an academic advisor or anything?

ALgooner

Bronze

Post by ALgooner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 pm

mmbt123 wrote:personally i vote no. if you address it in your ps and resume, it should be sufficient and 10 hrs a week won't seem like such an investment when you're compared against students who work 24 hrs+.

also from what ive read, rec letters are used to evaluate your academic credentials so i don't knwo how this would help in that respect.
Thanks. I was more of thinking I could use it to corroborate what I claim in my resume and personal statement. And yea, I work around 20 hours a week, in addition to volunteering and taking a full load of classes. That's why I thought it was a pretty substantial amount of volunteer time.

ALgooner

Bronze

Post by ALgooner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 pm

The Duck wrote:
ALgooner wrote:So I know this sounds dumb, but hear me out please! I am part of a student run microfinance nonprofit. The CEO is a student, and I am thinking about asking him to write me a letter of rec. I volunteer for this nonprofit around 10 hours a week, so it is a pretty significant investment of my time, and I wanted to reflect that in my application. It is listed in my resume and talked about in my PS, so I thought it might be good to continue the theme and have a letter of rec from my "boss" there.

You don't have an academic advisor or anything?
We have a faculty sponsor, but I've never actually met him... so I'm not sure how valuable of a letter that would be.

Also, keep in mind that I already have 3 letters from a combo of professors/employers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”