Apply now. Reapply later? Opinions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thuyn011

New

Apply now. Reapply later? Opinions

Post by thuyn011 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Was wondering about peoples opinions on the pros and cons of applying now and then reapplying later if you're not content with the results. Going through forums it seems as if there are varying responses, from "Don't waste your time and $ the first time. It may hurt admissions second time around." to "It's perfectly fine". My hope was to retake the LSAT if I wasn't happy with my application results and reapply, but worried applying the 1st time may hurt my chances. Thanks!

justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Apply now. Reapply later? Opinions

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 pm

I don't think it's going to hurt your chances for admission, and it definitely won't if your LSAT is higher.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm

justonemoregame wrote:I don't think it's going to hurt your chances for admission, and it definitely won't if your LSAT is higher.
I don't think it matters and a higher LSAT score is always better, obviously. I applied three years ago and I don't think anyone is going to notice or care. And if your new LSAT is higher, you may be applying to a bunch of different schools that are now out of your reach.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 pm

I applied in Sept but am planning on retaking in Feb and reapply next year. I don't think it would hurt me at all. Plus, like others have said, I will be (hopefully) applying to a different set of schools.

thuyn011

New

Post by thuyn011 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Alright. Thanks everyone. That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. I only plan on applying to schools which I have a 30-50% chance of getting into right now. I'm sure next time around if I increase my score those percentages would increase as well and I would be reapply having them as backup schools. I'm sure percentages aren't a perfect method of predicting your chances of admission due to other variables such as LOR, PS, Resume, etc, but what are your opinions on what percentages are appropriate. Meaning if 10-20 is ridiculous and a waste of time, or if I should be looking to only apply if my likelihood of gaining admission is past a certain percentage. I've researched various schools and put into consideration which schools are known to put more weight on certain things, but once again, simply curious about opinions. Thanks for your answers everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”