Tulane poaching Asian applicants Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rahviveh

Gold

Re: Tulane poaching Asian applicants

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Got the email below from the Latino diversity org. Nothing too interesting, but looks like they're reaching out to all minority groups. But no indication of whether Tulane is safe for us or not :(

Interesting that the alumni sending this email graduated in 2010 and is now a career counselor at the Law School. Did she spend three years at Tulane Law to become a career counselor for them? They couldn't find a Latino grad actually doing legal work?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/patricia-gu ... 20/252/283
We hope the letter below, from a 2010 alumna, will encourage you to apply to Tulane Law School. Your application fee will automatically be waived if you apply through the LSAC electronic application service.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXX:

As a Latina and Tulane Law School alum, I encourage you to consider applying to Tulane. The amazing education I received at Tulane helped catapult my legal career.

I decided to apply to Tulane because of the school’s strong commitment to community: Tulane was the first law school to require its students to participate in Pro Bono work. I knew that I wanted to go to law school to gain a skill set that would help me advocate for those who needed a voice. Both Tulane and the city of New Orleans were perfect places to begin my journey.

As a Latino student at Tulane, I was President of La Alianza del Derecho as well as the Southeast Regional Director of the National Latino/a Law Student Association. Through those organizations, I was able to network with Latino attorneys and other Latino law students. We participated in weekly legal services clinics for Spanish speakers, organized several volunteer service opportunities for the growing Latino community in New Orleans, and hosted valuable speaker events for the Tulane student body.

Tulane offers a strong curriculum and a diverse student body. The curriculum offers a wide range of substantive areas, including international and comparative law, environmental law, sports law, admiralty & maritime law, and intellectual property. Students of color make up twenty percent of the student body. New Orleans gives students exposure to the rich and diverse cultures the city has to offer.

I hope that you will apply to Tulane Law School and consider joining our community. My experiences at Tulane have opened many doors and introduced me to a diverse legal world. Please feel free to contact me at pguzman@tulane.edu if you have any questions or would like to know more about my experiences.

Sincerely,

Patricia M. Guzmán

Career Counselor

TLS class of 2010

togepi

Silver

Re: Tulane poaching Asian applicants

Post by togepi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 am

I was just a little happy that they were trying to increase their Asian applicant pool. It made me feel like 3/5ths of a URM

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”