Should I write an LSAT score addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Brody

New

Should I write an LSAT score addendum?

Post by Brody » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 pm

I received a 167 on the June LSAT. My grandfather was in the hospital suffering from heart surgery complications for the three weeks preceding the test administration. One week before the test, he died. We were close. This obviously was weighing heavily on me surrounding the test date, when I had intended to hone in, focus, and solidify my PT scores of 169-171, or increase them.

I did not cancel my registration or score. I did not retake in October. The AdComms will of course ask "why not?". First, my grandfather's death occurred after the deadline for a partial LSAC refund for cancellation and Test Date Change. Second, as everyone else, I had already invested the time and money into the June LSAT and knew the June test was really one I had sufficient time to devote to. Third, I was taking summer courses, had an internship, and then school in the fall, and thus had inadequate time to prepare for the October test. Frankly, though, the thought of taking the LSAT again made me too sad to study because it reminded me that I could have spent even more time with my grandfather before he died, rather than studying.

Should I write an addendum?

Many thanks, folks.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Re: Should I write an LSAT score addendum?

Post by Davidbentley » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 pm

There is no point in writing an addendum. You have no evidence -- E.G., a higher score on a later administration-- that you can score higher than 167. What are you going to say? "I was practicing at 169-171." On the LSAT, a 3-5 point swing is largely signal noise. If you want to prove that your 167 was not indicative of your true potential, then you need to sack up, retake, and do better.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:42 am

You need a higher LSAT score before you can write an addendum explaining a lower LSAT score.

Brody

New

Post by Brody » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:02 am

That's what I figured; just double-checking. Thanks, all.

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:35 am

copping this thread.

161-Dec 2011
165-June 2012
168 or above (expected)- Oct 2012

Excuses. 1. crashed out before second half at Dec. 2011, missed 23 of my 28 in those two sections. 2. Mitigated the test-day anxieties I suffered from in June at the Oct 2012 exam. That's about it really.

But anyway, the issue is, after reading my addendum you pretty much get out of it what you already assumed: the dude owned up to the pressure. So, you gather its unlikely that he got unlucky the first time, spot on the second time, and overachieved at the third time, and that his steady improvement likely means his most recent is the most indicative.

So, yes or no? What about in the cases where it doesn't ask for one/leave a clear, designated spot for one?

Edited: grammar
Last edited by seacow on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:04 am

seacow wrote:copping this thread.

161-Dec 2011
165-June 2012

Excuses: 1. crashed out before second half at Dec. 2011, missed 23 of my 28 in those two sections. 2. Then, mitigated the test-day anxieties I suffered from in June at the Oct 2012 exam. That's about it really.

But anyway, the issue is, after reading my addendum you pretty much get out of it what you already assumed: the dude f'ing grabbed his balls and owned up to the pressure. I.e., its unlikely that he unlucky the first time, spot on the second time, and overachieved on the third time, that his steady improvement likely means his most recent is the most indicative.

So, yes or no? What about in the cases where it doesn't ask for one/leave a clear, designated spot for one?

No. wtf is this?

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 am

justonemoregame wrote:
seacow wrote:copping this thread.

161-Dec 2011
165-June 2012

Excuses: 1. crashed out before second half at Dec. 2011, missed 23 of my 28 in those two sections. 2. Then, mitigated the test-day anxieties I suffered from in June at the Oct 2012 exam. That's about it really.

But anyway, the issue is, after reading my addendum you pretty much get out of it what you already assumed: the dude f'ing grabbed his balls and owned up to the pressure. I.e., its unlikely that he unlucky the first time, spot on the second time, and overachieved on the third time, that his steady improvement likely means his most recent is the most indicative.

No. wtf is this?
clarify what you mean by "this" please.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 pm

I don't know what "crashed out" means. Do you have a medical concern affecting standardized test performance? If so, and your new score is 168+, it may be fine to write a brief statement, especially if your score is still below median at the school to which you are applying and that school encourages addenda. (Others may balk at admitting medical issues).

If you go 161-165-168, it's not going to matter. They will assume you studied more for the exam (good thing), and that you're capable of learning from mistakes (good thing), dedicated, etc.. Plus the schools in this range are desperate for LSATs and you have a high gpa.

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:29 pm

I meant started running out of steam. And I needed a cigarette.

But yeah. It seems like saying nothing at all may be the best move here.

Will this change if the score I get is out of the 168 range? I won't really have much to say if its lower, but if its like 172 should I write something?
Last edited by seacow on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 pm

I probably would not write it w/o a serious reason. I don't think they will assume anything negative about the score increases. They may prefer an applicant with one score as opposed to three, but there is probably nothing you could say to change their mind about that tie-break, if in fact that preference isn't dubious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”