Foreign Language Letters of Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sensei

New

Foreign Language Letters of Recommendation

Post by sensei » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:11 am

One of my letters of recommendation is being written by my boss, who doesn't speak English. Since I've been living and working abroad for the past few years in Japan, having a foreign language letters is unavoidable. Would it be sufficient to have it translated by a professional translator and have that sent in together with the original?

I've scoured the LSAC website to no avail, so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Leaborb192

Bronze

Re: Foreign Language Letters of Recommendation

Post by Leaborb192 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 pm

sensei wrote:One of my letters of recommendation is being written by my boss, who doesn't speak English. Since I've been living and working abroad for the past few years in Japan, having a foreign language letters is unavoidable. Would it be sufficient to have it translated by a professional translator and have that sent in together with the original?

I've scoured the LSAC website to no avail, so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I would say yes. They cannot discriminate or hold it against you simply because your boss doesn't speak English. As long as it's translated by a professional, licensed translator and submitted with the actual letter, there shouldn't be a problem. It'd be no different than if your birth certificate were in a foreign language and translated, they cannot refuse to accept it. The worst they can say is: "no," but I don't think the law school would do that. Diversity, especially in the legal profession, is a good thing! I think they strive for that. BUT if you have trepidation, simply contact the law school you're trying to apply to, and ask the admission's office. They, more than anyone, could answer your question. Good luck! :D

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Is it unavoidable? It sounds much easier to just get English letters if you're only a few years out of school.

The Duck

Bronze

Post by The Duck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Leaborb192 wrote:
sensei wrote:One of my letters of recommendation is being written by my boss, who doesn't speak English. Since I've been living and working abroad for the past few years in Japan, having a foreign language letters is unavoidable. Would it be sufficient to have it translated by a professional translator and have that sent in together with the original?

I would say yes. They cannot discriminate or hold it against you simply because your boss doesn't speak English. As long as it's translated by a professional, licensed translator and submitted with the actual letter, there shouldn't be a problem. It'd be no different than if your birth certificate were in a foreign language and translated, they cannot refuse to accept it. The worst they can say is: "no," but I don't think the law school would do that. Diversity, especially in the legal profession, is a good thing! I think they strive for that. BUT if you have trepidation, simply contact the law school you're trying to apply to, and ask the admission's office. They, more than anyone, could answer your question. Good luck! :D
I doubt it needs to be translated by a licensed translator. Have them write and sign and then include a secretary's translation with her signature (and a statement saying it has been truly and accurately translated). The secretary could write the whole thing on their own if they wanted (in their name)...so its not a big deal. Just use someone affiliated with them...don't do it yourself. Traditionally, this is done in the business context by simply having them type their translation under the original letter. A separate translation (on its own page) is not included.

This isn't a legal document. If they care that much, they'd contact you for an official translation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”