Dealing with a Crap GPA, et cetera Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nick_scheu

New

Dealing with a Crap GPA, et cetera

Post by nick_scheu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm still waiting on my October LSAT score, and that's going to play a huge role in where I end up, if I end up doing law school at all. In the meantime, I'm thinking about my GPA situation. Here's a rough timeline of my educational and work history:

-2006-2007: 30 units at an unknown, ultra-small (<100 students total) LAC. Roughly 1.9 GPA.
-2007-2009: Working full-time, taking night classes at a California Community College. 15 units, 3.80 GPA.
-2009-2010: Full-time CCC student. 54 units, 4.04 GPA
-2010-2011: Working full-time (I completed everything I needed at CCC and was waiting to start university in Spring 2012).
-2012-2013: Will graduate UC Berkeley with 50 letter-graded units completed in-residence. I currently have 28 completed with a 3.82 GPA.

My current LSAC GPA is about 3.47.

My question: I'd imagine this is something worth writing a GPA addendum for. How do I approach it? Will it have any effect at all? I'd think not, because of USNWR issues, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

The truth behind my poor performance at the LAC probably won't sell well: It was a combination of likely grade deflation, competing with upperclassmen for grades (all students in the entire college took half of each semester's classes together), and some internal politics (the year I was there, the professors who taught me were forced out by a new president; I was close with the new president). I asked the college's dean why I was getting poor marks. Her response (paraphrased): "You don't talk to the other students enough. The quality of your work is less important; we want to see you working with other students outside of the classroom."

For what it's worth, all of my work experience was for elected officials in staff positions. In the 2007 period I worked for an elected official who was charged with corruption crimes; I eventually testified in court against a city councilman (and was the only member of the official's staff not charged, indicted, or sued). In 2011, I worked for a newly-elected official who represented about 400,000 constituents. Among other things, I developed redistricting proposals, analyzed policy proposals, and drafted editorials.

Thanks for your help!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Dealing with a Crap GPA, et cetera

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Your explanation sounds like whiny bullshit, to be honest. An addendum isn't going to do any good.

3.47 is not THAT bad. HYS are out. Rest of the T6, non-zero chance with a stellar LSAT. You're certainly not locked out of T14.

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Your explanation sounds like whiny bullshit, to be honest. An addendum isn't going to do any good.

3.47 is not THAT bad. HYS are out. Rest of the T6, non-zero chance with a stellar LSAT. You're certainly not locked out of T14.
Yeah, I know, but it's the truth. I wasn't judged on the quality of my exams and assignments, but on other factors—I got a raw deal. But there's no way to say that without it sounding like whiny bullshit.

So I just ignore it?
Last edited by nick_scheu on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickyDnwhyc

Bronze

Post by RickyDnwhyc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Your explanation sounds like whiny bullshit, to be honest. An addendum isn't going to do any good.

Harsh, but I agree, I don't think there is an effective way to phrase "New President was a dick, said I wasn't playing nice with others or some shit". In the end the schools can grade you based on whatever they want. It's your job to stay on top of things.

And during your full time work your GPA was great... so mentioning that won't help.

It sucks, but a 3.47 is not terrible at all. You have a great shot at going to a great school with $$$ if your LSAT is high.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 am

Yeah my LSAC GPA is .01 lower than yours and I didn't bother with a GPA addendum even though there were some extenuating factors during my junior year. The advice of crushing the LSAT and not getting your hopes up with respect to HYS is very credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”