LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION FROM PROFESSORS AND BOSSES Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ReallyRosie

New

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION FROM PROFESSORS AND BOSSES

Post by ReallyRosie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 am

When you've rec'd a letter of rec. from either a professor or employer/supervisor, do you give them anything else, other than a Thank You card? What is considered appropriate and meaningful? I mean, is a gift card to Starbucks for $5 or $10 inappropriate? I realize that it takes an hour of their valuable time. Just saying the words "Thank you" just doesn't seem enough, when what they did for you makes such a big impact on your future. Or, if you're friendly enough with them, do you treat them to lunch/dinner? Don't want to cross the line, and I certainly don't want to appear cheap or ungrateful.

Also, when you ask for a letter of rec, how much time do you give the professor or employer to write it? In other words, how much in advance are you supposed to ask them?

Thanks in advance for your replies!!! Really Appreciate it!!!

AlanShore

Silver

Re: LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION FROM PROFESSORS AND BOSSES

Post by AlanShore » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:51 am

You don't HAVE to give them anything other than a thank you card.. but if you know them well and if they have the time (many profs are super busy) lunch could be nice. I gave my professors gift certificates to a restaurant, i think (it was a few years ago). I think a gift card of $5-10 seems a bit cheap or odd.. i say if you're going to give something like that, and not an actual object (like wine or nice chocolates or something for their office), you should give minimum $20.

keep in mind, it could take them much longer than an hour. some professors want to spend some time thinking about it, especially if they know you well. and you should give the professor PLENTY of time-- a month, at the minimum.

Gold

Re: LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION FROM PROFESSORS AND BOSSES

Post by 20130312 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 am

Professors don't expect anything, since it's part of their job to write recommendations, but taking them out to lunch would be a nice gesture if you know them well. Otherwise, I'd say skip it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”