GPA bump or ED? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mqt

Gold

GPA bump or ED?

Post by mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm in my last semester of undergrad, and my GPA is rather weak at the moment, with a 2.88 as calculated for my LSDAS GPA or a 3.16 per my university transcript. I have an upward trend, with my GPA having risen from around a 2.4 to where it is now over the past 3 semesters. In this current semester, I currently have all As, and this is likely to continue. If so, my LSDAS GPA would calculate to 2.99 and my institutional GPA would be at or near 3.3.

However, the semester does not end until early December, which is well past the deadline for any ED programs at top schools. It seems obvious that there is at least some advantage to applying ED to certain schools, so my question is if that advantage is enough to negate the difference in GPA calculations.

What also might be noteworthy is that I'm taking the LSAT on Saturday, so I do not have a score to apply right now. I'm PTing in the mid-170s, which gives me hope that I can score fairly high on the test. I know that without that score, there is certainly no way of determining whether or not I have a chance at most schools, but for the sake of answering the general question posed in the thread, I would assume my score for the LSAT is going to be fairly competitive. So, essentially would a ~170/2.88 ED be more beneficial than a ~170/2.99 later in the cycle for the top schools?

TheZoid

Bronze

Re: GPA bump or ED?

Post by TheZoid » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 pm

TheZoid wrote:You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.
I do believe this to be sound advice, but I'm really not sure that I can follow it. I'm capped for my financial aid for undergrad, and my fiancee is due to have a child in February. For these reasons, graduation in December is really my most feasible option.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Mqt wrote:
TheZoid wrote:You have two semesters to get your GPA above a 3.0. I'd focus on that and wait until next cycle to apply, as 3.0 is a pretty hard floor for many schools. With a 170+ LSAT and above 3.0 GPA, you'll probly get a couple bites in the T-14.
I do believe this to be sound advice, but I'm really not sure that I can follow it. I'm capped for my financial aid for undergrad, and my fiancee is due to have a child in February. For these reasons, graduation in December is really my most feasible option.
You're going to be a dad in February and you're considering starting LAW SCHOOL? This is a terrible idea :shock: (time commitments and what not).

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Mqt wrote:
You're going to be a dad in February and you're considering starting LAW SCHOOL? This is a terrible idea :shock: (time commitments and what not).
I fully understand the difficulties that this situation will cause, but it's not as if working full-time with a child would be an easy road. Would there really be a significant advantage involved with considering law school with a 2-year-old, or a 3-year-old? Being a parent is going to be a challenge no matter what I decide to do with my life, so I don't feel as though I should base my career options on whether or not law school is a difficult path.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Mqt wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Mqt wrote:
I fully understand the difficulties that this situation will cause, but it's not as if working full-time with a child would be an easy road. Would there really be a significant advantage involved with considering law school with a 2-year-old, or a 3-year-old? Being a parent is going to be a challenge no matter what I decide to do with my life, so I don't feel as though I should base my career options on whether or not law school is a difficult path.
Economically, would you rather be in Law School debt + Child Care debt or Making money?

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 pm

TheThriller wrote: Economically, would you rather be in Law School debt + Child Care debt or Making money?
To be quite clear, I am not looking to address the issue of whether or not I should attend law school. I understand my circumstances, and fully believe this route to be my best long-term option for my career and family. This was the path I started on before we found out we were expecting a child, and it is the path I intend to continue on.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Mqt wrote:
TheThriller wrote: Economically, would you rather be in Law School debt + Child Care debt or Making money?
To be quite clear, I am not looking to address the issue of whether or not I should attend law school. I understand my circumstances, and fully believe this route to be my best long-term option for my career and family. This was the path I started on before we found out we were expecting a child, and it is the path I intend to continue on.
Well, then I wish you the best of luck getting the best LSAT you can possible achieve, from one sub 3.0 splitter to another.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm

I apologize for coming across as combative to the responses so far, but I was wondering if anyone did have an opinion one way or the other on ED vs the extra .1 in my GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gspiel1232

New

Post by gspiel1232 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 pm

It sounds as if you should be applying rd everywhere and EDing nowhere with the exception of NW and maybe mayyybe (def not) GW....you should be thinking of using your lsat score to hopefully get moolah
..not paying sticker

mommalee

Bronze

Post by mommalee » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 pm

[/quote]

I fully understand the difficulties that this situation will cause, but it's not as if working full-time with a child would be an easy road. Would there really be a significant advantage involved with considering law school with a 2-year-old, or a 3-year-old? Being a parent is going to be a challenge no matter what I decide to do with my life, so I don't feel as though I should base my career options on whether or not law school is a difficult path.[/quote]

I have a 4 year old and a 12month old. I am applying this year as well. Dealing with a small child (6months in August) is very different than dealing with a toddler. Toddlers can communicate their needs to you and are somewhat self sufficient, you can potty train a 20 month old. I think you should at least consider the disruption to your studying that teething, flu season illness could cause in you first semester of school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”