Law School Predictor "Matcher" Accuracy Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb

Bronze

Law School Predictor "Matcher" Accuracy

Post by msquaredb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm

It seems like total BS to me. What is the consensus here?

For example, I put in my GPA (3.95) and my most recent PT (167) and it says my target schools are Penn, Chicago, Stanford, UVA, Boalt, Michigan, Duke etc. It even says those schools with a 165 put in. That can't be right.

I REALLY don't think that a GPA helps reverse splitters so much that it get them in when they only have the 25% percentile ont he LSAT...at least based on what I have seen and read here and on LSN.

This Matcher feature seems to disagree with LSN hardcore

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Re: Law School Predictor "Matcher" Accuracy

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:03 pm

LSP is a useful tool but it uses admissions indexes that can be dated or inaccurate. If there is a conflict between LSP and LSN trust LSN.

And 75%+ GPA + 25%- LSAT gets into several schools including those you listed. It tends to be a worse spot to be in than high LSAT splitters, but schools need to offset the bad GPA high LSAT people too.

msquaredb

Bronze

Post by msquaredb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:08 pm

2014 wrote:LSP is a useful tool but it uses admissions indexes that can be dated or inaccurate. If there is a conflict between LSP and LSN trust LSN.

And 75%+ GPA + 25%- LSAT gets into several schools including those you listed. It tends to be a worse spot to be in than high LSAT splitters, but schools need to offset the bad GPA high LSAT people too.
I just don't hear of many of them. I wish I knew of more so I could evaluate my chances better.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 pm

It compares your index score to the index of all the people who got in, but doesn't really account for LSAT/GPA floors. A 3.95/165 has almost exactly the same index score as a 3.6/170 but the 3.6/170 will have a better chance of admission. Penn would rather dip down to a 3.6 GPA then dip down to a 165 LSAT.

That said, a 3.95/167 does have some chance at Penn. But keep busting ass on those PTs and you can snag Harvard.
msquaredb wrote:
2014 wrote:LSP is a useful tool but it uses admissions indexes that can be dated or inaccurate. If there is a conflict between LSP and LSN trust LSN.

I just don't hear of many of them. I wish I knew of more so I could evaluate my chances better.
There are way more people with high GPAs and low LSATs than the reverse. You will be one of those few with a high GPA and a high LSAT. You lucky dawg.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 pm

LSP's methodology is badly flawed. Look at LSN and myLSN.info instead.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 pm

msquaredb wrote:

Evaluating your chances isn't a very productive activity once you've isolated the set of schools it's worth paying the app fee for (assuming you can't get it waived). In your shoes I'd re-take. But if I were out of re-takes, I would apply to every T14 outside the T6, and hell, I might throw in CCN too.

msquaredb

Bronze

Post by msquaredb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 pm

IAFG wrote:
msquaredb wrote:

Evaluating your chances isn't a very productive activity once you've isolated the set of schools it's worth paying the app fee for (assuming you can't get it waived). In your shoes I'd re-take. But if I were out of re-takes, I would apply to every T14 outside the T6, and hell, I might throw in CCN too.
CCN=Columbia, Chicago, NYU I'm assuming.

Well...we will see how I do come test day. I basically score an average of 169. I used to hit 170 consistently but I haven't been able to get anything other than a 167 my last 5 PT so I used that for the discussion. I hope that on test day I fall somewhere below my high of 178 and above my low of 167 :)

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:57 am

msquaredb wrote:
CCN=Columbia, Chicago, NYU I'm assuming.

Well...we will see how I do come test day. I basically score an average of 169. I used to hit 170 consistently but I haven't been able to get anything other than a 167 my last 5 PT so I used that for the discussion. I hope that on test day I fall somewhere below my high of 178 and above my low of 167 :)
Correct re: CCN. And good luck on the test. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”