Graduate in 3 years or.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jenlt

New

Graduate in 3 years or....

Post by jenlt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Im at a crossroads. I was planning on applying to law school this fall. I'm taking the LSAT next weekend. I will have graduated in three years with an Economics degree and VERY minimal softs. I have a 3.85 GPA and have been averaging a 165 (I know, very low) on my PTs. Would it look better to admissions if I continued on this course or stayed in undergrad another year (I could get 2 minors -- English lit and women's studies-- and join some Clubs). What would you do of in my position?

T14hoping

New

Re: Graduate in 3 years or....

Post by T14hoping » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Would another year be effectively free?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Get a job for a year instead of going to school for a second minor

jenlt

New

Post by jenlt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Heavily discounted... Scholarships should cover the majority.

T14hoping

New

Post by T14hoping » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Well, the minors will probably be useless as far as practicality is concerned. Why don't you just join a random organization or something now and ride that out until the end of this year?

A few clubs aren't going to really help/hurt in any significant way. Then again, I have few ECs myself, so perhaps I'm biased.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Possible to get an engineering, or science, or math, or computer science major in your last year instead of stuff you could just learn about on wikipedia?

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Go work, travel, and enjoy your life before you start this awful thing called law school.

jenlt

New

Post by jenlt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm studying abroad this semester. I have a few ECs. Secretary of one club and member of another. I also have semester honors for three of the four semesters. I've also worked part-time over the course of my college career.

Not possible to get another major. I have a bachelor of science, I'm probably grasping at straws but does that hold more weight than a bachelor of arts?
Last edited by jenlt on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:00 pm

jenlt wrote:I'm studying abroad this semester. I have a few ECs. Secretary of one club and member of another. I also have semester honors for three of the four semesters.

Not possible to get another major. I have a bachelor of science, I'm probably grasping at straws but does that hold more weight than a bachelor of arts?
Get a job for a year then, it will be a much more worthwhile experience than another yr of undergrad. WE is a better soft than any bullshit college club or w/e as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Possible to get an engineering, or science, or math, or computer science major in your last year instead of stuff you could just learn about on wikipedia?
Is there something you can't learn about on Wikipedia or in a library? That necessarily requires some guy at the front of the room talking about it?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Possible to get an engineering, or science, or math, or computer science major in your last year instead of stuff you could just learn about on wikipedia?
Is there something you can't learn about on Wikipedia or in a library? That necessarily requires some guy at the front of the room talking about it?
You can probably learn anything online, but if a prof teaches you math/science stuff it helps in your career. It probably doesn't make a difference in anybody's career if they learn about feminist theory in class or online.

SumStalwart

Bronze

Post by SumStalwart » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:19 pm

I would strongly encourage you to stay for your fourth year and get a part-time job in some legal capacity or whatever direction that you would like to see your legal career head. From my understanding, people who graduate early are not seen in a better light than those who spend the full four years. Just take relatively lighter courses, and bump your GPA up more and work on that LSAT. The higher your stats, the greater your chances are of not only getting into your dream law school, but being able to acquire significant scholarships (with the exception of Harvard).

Good Luck on the 6th!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”