Solid Regional Schools List Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Solid Regional Schools List

Post by IAFG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

YankeesFan wrote:
andythefir wrote:With the crucial caveat that the person in question is from Alabama and wants to stay. Where a lot of people get into a lot of trouble is trying to go from Arizona>Alabama law>try to get a job in Arizona or from Minnesota>Bama law>try to get a job in Florida
I always hear this about regional schools, but I think if you go to a regional school and want to stay, then where you came from can be overcome with minimal work. For ex., I left NY/DC for Wake and wanted to stay in NC. During my first year interviews I was always asked why NC? However, after spliting my summer in NC I have not had another interviewer question whether or not I want to stay in NC. In my opinion, the key is to work in the school's region during your first summer. This should demonstrate your commitment to staying there.
Yeah, it can work. It can also backfire all to hell. Ask my friend from the midatlantic who went to UMN, got great grades, law review, a local SO, then got shut out locally and got regional biglaw on the east coast.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

YankeesFan wrote:
andythefir wrote:With the crucial caveat that the person in question is from Alabama and wants to stay. Where a lot of people get into a lot of trouble is trying to go from Arizona>Alabama law>try to get a job in Arizona or from Minnesota>Bama law>try to get a job in Florida
I always hear this about regional schools, but I think if you go to a regional school and want to stay, then where you came from can be overcome with minimal work. For ex., I left NY/DC for Wake and wanted to stay in NC. During my first year interviews I was always asked why NC? However, after spliting my summer in NC I have not had another interviewer question whether or not I want to stay in NC. In my opinion, the key is to work in the school's region during your first summer. This should demonstrate your commitment to staying there.

Do you have a permanent job?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Tag and bump.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:16 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:Tag and bump.
Chu bumpin son?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 am

Can anyone answer my previous question about being Korean American if I went to U of Alabama? I'm wondering (even though I went to middle school - undergrad) if it would hurt of help any of my chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:02 am

togepi wrote:Can anyone answer my previous question about being Korean American if I went to U of Alabama? I'm wondering (even though I went to middle school - undergrad) if it would hurt of help any of my chances.
As terrible of a place as Alabama may be, it's not that terrible. The only way it will actually have a detriment to you is if you hold dual citizenship and apply for a Top Secret security clearance, but that's really not going to be a problem for you regardless.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:09 am

twentypercentmore wrote:
togepi wrote:Can anyone answer my previous question about being Korean American if I went to U of Alabama? I'm wondering (even though I went to middle school - undergrad) if it would hurt of help any of my chances.
As terrible of a place as Alabama may be, it's not that terrible. The only way it will actually have a detriment to you is if you hold dual citizenship and apply for a Top Secret security clearance, but that's really not going to be a problem for you regardless.
I don't mind it at all, I was just curious as to if many firms there try to keep their office white and tidy :)

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:00 pm

togepi wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
I don't mind it at all, I was just curious as to if many firms there try to keep their office white and tidy :)
Your Asian, bro. The South has never discriminated against Asians. Nor has any other part of this country. Take a lap.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
togepi wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
Your Asian, bro. The South has never discriminated against Asians. Nor has any other part of this country. Take a lap.
Are you trolling? See: Chinese Exclusion Act.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ctmx

New

Post by ctmx » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
togepi wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
wat

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:06 pm

BYU seems to do well
TCR. Probably the best school outside of the T-14 as far as cost to job prospects ratio.

ASU and U of A also do pretty well since they have something of a monopoly on 2 decently sized legal markets.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Veyron wrote:
BYU seems to do well
TCR. Probably the best school outside of the T-14 as far as cost to job prospects ratio.

ASU and U of A also do pretty well since they have something of a monopoly on 2 decently sized legal markets.
only if you get the discounted rate at BYU

Also, what 2 decently sized legal markets in AZ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:15 pm

dingbat wrote:
Veyron wrote:
BYU seems to do well

only if you get the discounted rate at BYU

Also, what 2 decently sized legal markets in AZ?
Phoenix metro. Tucson metro. Natch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:29 pm

dingbat wrote:Columbia and NYU are solid regional schools.
Any law school in NJ is not
I disagree and think Rutgers Newark is a decent regional within the state.

To the OP, There are a LOT more than a handful of schools outside the T-14 that would be outstanding choices with $$$ IF you wanted to work in the regions they feed.

In the Southeast, and I will keep them mostly public. UNC, USC, UGA > GSU but both not bad in some circumstances, Bama, Ole Miss, UF/FSU. LSU, Arkansas, Vandy>UT, TX>SMU=Houston,

There are just a few in the SE and not all are in the top 100. It all depends on where you really want to work AND have ties.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:15 pm

JCFindley wrote:

To the OP, There are a LOT more than a handful of schools outside the T-14 that would be outstanding choices with $$$ IF you wanted to work in the regions they feed.

In the Southeast, and I will keep them mostly public. UNC, USC, UGA > GSU but both not bad in some circumstances, Bama, Ole Miss, UF/FSU. LSU, Arkansas, Vandy>UT, TX>SMU=Houston,

There are just a few in the SE and not all are in the top 100. It all depends on where you really want to work AND have ties.
As long as biglaw/preftigiouf PI/preftigiouf government aren't your primary goals.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

As long as biglaw/preftigiouf PI/preftigiouf government aren't your primary goals.
Yupp, LOTS of caveats to that, but depends on what you define as prestige. IF say, you were from Philadelphia MS, Yes there is such a place, and your end game goal was to hang your own shingle or work as a DA or PD there, then Ole Miss with $$$ might well be an outstanding choice though I would still try and do Bama for the same goal. If you just LOVE Macon GA, and there are people that do, UGA is in fact a good school and would be a good choice... Nebraska or Iowa are not bad choices if you want to live in Omaha.

There are plenty of good TT and even some TTT schools out there IF you have specific goals, you have ties, you can do them for very little or better yet, NO debt and the market you are trying to enter at least has the jobs you want.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:36 pm

The UW-Seattle, U-Houston, SMU, UMiami, U-Florida, FSU, UTexas, Arizona, UCLA, USC, UC-Hastings, U-San Diego, UIUC, GWU, Temple, BU, BC, Suffolk, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Emory, and Ohio State are probably the best non-T14's at dominating their own markets - all of which are major markets.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:38 pm

PDaddy wrote:The UW-Seattle, U-Houston, SMU, UMiami, U-Florida, FSU, UTexas, Arizona, UCLA, USC, UC-Hastings, U-San Diego, UIUC, GWU, Vanderbilt, Georgia, and Emory are probably the best non-T14's at dominating doing well in their own markets - all some of which are major markets.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 pm

PDaddy wrote:The UW-Seattle, U-Houston, SMU, UMiami, U-Florida, FSU, UTexas, Arizona, UCLA, USC, UC-Hastings, U-San Diego, UIUC, GWU, Temple, BU, BC, Suffolk, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Emory, and Ohio State are probably the best non-T14's at dominating their own markets - all of which are major markets.
Some of these schools would require a LOT more money to be viable in direct relation to the other school feeding the area on your list.

For instance, Miami v. UF. Though with the difference in admission standards it might be possible that they would be the same cost for an individual. Now, Emory v. UGA would be a tougher call. Emory has a slight edge in jobs but is a LOT more costly to attend. While Rutgers and SH both feed NJ fairly well, one is ridiculously expensive and the other pretty reasonable especially with a little $$ thrown at the student.

Attending a strong regional can make a lot of sense but attending an expensive private regional should only be considered with a LOT of $$$ or rich parents. (Oh, and no stips on that $$$)

msquaredb

Bronze

Post by msquaredb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:01 pm

How about USC vs. UCLA for an out of state student. I know UCLA is ranked higher, but there may be unknown factors to me that contribute to job placement. According to law school transparency, USC has the better numbers.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 pm

msquaredb wrote:How about USC vs. UCLA for an out of state student. I know UCLA is ranked higher, but there may be unknown factors to me that contribute to job placement. According to law school transparency, USC has the better numbers.
Realistically, UCLA and USC are more or less even. Go to whichever is cheaper

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:56 am

msquaredb wrote:How about USC vs. UCLA for an out of state student. I know UCLA is ranked higher, but there may be unknown factors to me that contribute to job placement. According to law school transparency, USC has the better numbers.
Neither without a large scholarship.
PDaddy wrote:The UW-Seattle, U-Houston, SMU, UMiami, U-Florida, FSU, UTexas, Arizona, UCLA, USC, UC-Hastings, U-San Diego, UIUC, GWU, Temple, BU, BC, Suffolk, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Emory, and Ohio State are probably the best non-T14's at dominating their own markets - all of which are major markets.
Hastings, San Diego, and with it Davis and Irvine are not smart schools to go to. The UC schools do not offer large enough scholarships to make their worse than most TTTT employment statistics worth it. Hastings does not dominate SF -- Berkeley does, and to a lesser extent Stanford.

Similar things can be said for expensive schools like GWU, Emory, Miami, UW, where you better be getting a LOT of $$$$$ to make the employment prospects worth it.

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:57 am

depends a bit I think on how many schools are in the state in relation to how many big cities there are and how big they are. for instance, Indiana probably only needs two law schools but they have I think five of em.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Seattle doesn't have enough jobs to make UW-Seattle a good choice. Even if they got every single NALP job in Seattle for their grads (and honestly, I think they come close to pulling that off) almost everyone would still be without one.

kellymas

New

Post by kellymas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 am

you just provide a real and awesome information with us... :)
Regards: SpammySpam

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”