Addendum Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
diepset4

New

Addendum Question

Post by diepset4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Just seeking more information on how the addendum can be effectively structured. Although it is essentially revolved around an excuse for a low GPA, I would just like to know how to go about it.

Thanks for the feedback!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Addendum Question

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Write a paragraph explaining, without whining or woe-is-me dramatics, why your GPA does not represent your academic potential or ability.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Usually:
a.) This is why I did poorly during this time.
b.) This is how I did when I was not dealing with that. Or
c.) This is why (a) is not indicative of my true potential.
D.) This is why you should disregard (a).

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:51 am

Davidbentley wrote:Usually:
a.) This is why I did poorly during this time.
b.) This is how I did when I was not dealing with that. Or
c.) This is why (a) is not indicative of my true potential.
D.) This is why you should disregard (a).
This +1. Basically, put you low GPA into context for them. If you're writing this addendum, then you probably see your low GPA as being caused by some sort of anomaly or isolated incident that will likely not impact your law school GPA. To put DavidBentley's post into sentence form, the point that you're trying to get across is that, while you did poorly this time, you have done better when you were not dealing with whatever anomaly caused your low GPA, which is why this GPA is not indicative of how you will perform in law school (where you would reach the full potential that you missed here), which is why they should disregard your GPA and evaluate your potential based more heavily on the other factors in your application. A compelling addendum will convince them of all this.

In addition, there are a lot of people who have posted their addendums in the forums. You should find them, read them, and also read the feedback that other people have them.

Good luck!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:as being caused by some sort of anomaly or isolated incident that will likely not impact your law school GPA.
This is the important part - you really need to make sure it's clear why this incident won't happen in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

diepset4

New

Post by diepset4 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 pm

Thank you for the assistance! This is really helpful.

Would mentioning my high graduate GPA matter/be relevant to those components y'all suggested? I know it is not as important as UGPA, but I would assume it displays how I improved academically.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:16 am

diepset4 wrote:Thank you for the assistance! This is really helpful.

Would mentioning my high graduate GPA matter/be relevant to those components y'all suggested? I know it is not as important as UGPA, but I would assume it displays how I improved academically.
Maybe, but keep in mind that graduate GPAs are almost universally high so it will probably not impress the adcomm much. It's much more effective to say "I was sick Fall 2010 and got a 2.5. I was healthy Spring 2010 and got a 4.0."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”