Can I write a diversity statement with my background? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msquaredb

Bronze

Can I write a diversity statement with my background?

Post by msquaredb » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:08 pm

USC allows a diversity statement if you believe you will contribute to diversity and educational background of the class.

I have two questions:

Could I swing a diversity statement by saying that I am from a small midwestern town (~5,000)? I feel like that would add to USC's class diversity. I would assume USC is flooded with white male Californian applicants, and while I am a white male, I think my region (and the perspective that comes with that) would be underrepresented at USC.

Could I swing a diversity statement by saying that I am a biochemistry major who has significant research experience? Science majors are becoming more common, but I think the experience of working in a research lab and publishing is a more unique factor that could stand out.

Bronze

Re: Can I write a diversity statement with my background?

Post by 02889 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:09 pm

You might get other answers, but I'm approaching the diversity statement like this: while my personal statement details where I'm going, and how law will take me there, my diversity statement addresses my upbringing, and how that affects what what's included in my PS as well as how I view law, policy, and my career goals.

I've struggled a bit with this since it's hard not to view the DS as strictly a statement describing a significant challenge you have overcome, but I believe that if you approach the DS with the goal of simply telling schools more about your story, and building up the narrative of your application, you'll be fine. Diversity is a very broad term.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:38 pm

msquaredb wrote:USC allows a diversity statement if you believe you will contribute to diversity and educational background of the class.

I have two questions:

Could I swing a diversity statement by saying that I am from a small midwestern town (~5,000)? I feel like that would add to USC's class diversity. I would assume USC is flooded with white male Californian applicants, and while I am a white male, I think my region (and the perspective that comes with that) would be underrepresented at USC.

Could I swing a diversity statement by saying that I am a biochemistry major who has significant research experience? Science majors are becoming more common, but I think the experience of working in a research lab and publishing is a more unique factor that could stand out.
I would ask someone from their admissions office. I've asked a somewhat similar question to a bunch of schools and the replies vary.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:10 pm

msquaredb wrote: Could I swing a diversity statement by saying that I am a biochemistry major who has significant research experience? Science majors are becoming more common, but I think the experience of working in a research lab and publishing is a more unique factor that could stand out.
As the other poster said, call up and see what they look for in a diversity statement.

However, as far as the science goes, I wouldn't write about that. They can tell you're a science major from your transcript. They can tell you've been published from your resume. The only thing you could add is a little more depth to that, but believe me, as a biochem major who had research experience before law school, it's not nearly as interesting to anyone outside of the science world (i.e. everyone who will read the DS at the law school) as it is to you and fellow scientists. In short, you won't tell them anything they don't know, and if you do, it'll probably bore them. Or it'll come off as, "Look how hard my undergrad was compared to others!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”