Still Apply to Law School this cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mysteryprincess

New

Still Apply to Law School this cycle?

Post by mysteryprincess » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:07 pm

I graduated at a t35 with a finance degree, my LSAC gpa should be a 3.3, traveled for a year after graduation (no work add'l work experience). Did not take the June LSAT, and the date change deadline for the October LSAT is tomorrow. For my target schools I need a 172-174 to get in them, if you trust in the predictors. I have been practicing at a 167 with generous time, aka I'm not fast enough yet. Therefore I don't think I can get in that range by October even if I studied everyday at this point (and factor into moving into a place across the US).

So I'm going to change my test date. Here are two current strategies or ideas I'm considering.

1. Change the Test Date to February. PROS: If I change the test date to February, that will be more than enough time to get (hopefully I don't hit my plateau too soon), a solid score on the LSAT. And even if I didn't do too well, I'd still have June to fall back on. And even if my better score is June, I'd still have enough time to apply ED and have a better chance at law schools by getting my admission stuff early. Considering getting a JD-MBA, I need to give 2 weeks notice to take the GMATs, so I would have time to study for an entirely new test. CONS: I'd have to wait another admission cycle.

2. Change the Test Date to December. PROS: I have access to the Powerscore online material until the day after my October LSAT (took the full course in June). I could watch all the add'l material and get all the techniques down flat (I know my weaknesses already LR - parallel reasoning and sufficient/necessary reasoning - if it shows up, I get it wrong). I'll have to do this first part in my study strategy regardless since I lose my access after that. Then after my access expires buy all the practice tests and take a test daily/every other day until the December test. Just enough time to get enough concentrated testing in to do well. CONS: I'm a borderline candidate with a low gpa since the lsat world seems to average at a 3.7, and my school places high in business and finance was one of its two hardest majors. Applying in December could hurt my chances as, for example a 170 applied in September would do a lot better than a 170 applying in January.

Thoughts? Opinions? Or alternative suggestions? I'm making my final decision by tomorrow on which date I should take it. I think I have the best chances into getting into a better school in February on one hand, but on the other hand, it would suck delaying law school yet another year. Also have a better chance in getting family help paying for law school this year vs next year, so money does matter, BUT my main priority is my best chance at t20 schools.

Crowing

Gold

Re: Still Apply to Law School this cycle?

Post by Crowing » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:32 pm

If you use the Dec test your score won't be released until January I assume so your apps won't be complete until then. I applied last Feb with 3.43/173 and was dinged at Penn and NU and waitlisted at CLS, NYU, Mich, and Duke. If you're not gonna be ready for the October test then I definitely think waiting until next cycle is the better option.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Crowing wrote:If you use the Dec test your score won't be released until January I assume so your apps won't be complete until then. I applied last Feb with 3.43/173 and was dinged at Penn and NU and waitlisted at CLS, NYU, Mich, and Duke. If you're not gonna be ready for the October test then I definitely think waiting until next cycle is the better option.
Your cycle isn't that shocking given your numbers/waiting until February.

OP: if you apply immediately after you get your Dec. score back it shouldn't be an issue. Splitters normally aren't decided on until later in the cycle anyway.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

hibiki wrote:
Crowing wrote:If you use the Dec test your score won't be released until January I assume so your apps won't be complete until then. I applied last Feb with 3.43/173 and was dinged at Penn and NU and waitlisted at CLS, NYU, Mich, and Duke. If you're not gonna be ready for the October test then I definitely think waiting until next cycle is the better option.

OP: if you apply immediately after you get your Dec. score back it shouldn't be an issue. Splitters normally aren't decided on until later in the cycle anyway.
Is there really such a substantial difference between Jan and Feb apps?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Crowing wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Well, I got into my target schools with a January app, so as far as competing anecdotes goes, I'd say yes, there is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mysteryprincess

New

Post by mysteryprincess » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:17 am

hibiki wrote:
Crowing wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Well, I got into my target schools with a January app, so as far as competing anecdotes goes, I'd say yes, there is.
Thanks for the help so far to both of you! Hibiki, your news is encouraging, but were you a splitter as well? And were your target schools safety schools or medium reach schools?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 am

mysteryprincess wrote:
Thanks for the help so far to both of you! Hibiki, your news is encouraging, but were you a splitter as well? And were your target schools safety schools or medium reach schools?
I was a splitter and my target schools were slight reach/normal. With a 3.4~ you can't realistically aim higher than CCN, though.

mysteryprincess

New

Post by mysteryprincess » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 am

hibiki wrote:
mysteryprincess wrote:
I was a splitter and my target schools were slight reach/normal. With a 3.4~ you can't realistically aim higher than CCN, though.
That's good! And yeahh, wasn't aiming for higher than those lol. I'd pretty much need a 180 for even a chance at Harvard. If I get 172+ I definitely want to ED it for the schools that have more than one ED cycle. Sucks that I can't do the earlier EDs though since I didn't start studying in time. Changed my test date to December, though. May withdraw this cycle if I can't break 172...

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 am

mysteryprincess wrote:
hibiki wrote:
mysteryprincess wrote:
That's good! And yeahh, wasn't aiming for higher than those lol. I'd pretty much need a 180 for even a chance at Harvard. If I get 172+ I definitely want to ED it for the schools that have more than one ED cycle. Sucks that I can't do the earlier EDs though since I didn't start studying in time. Changed my test date to December, though. May withdraw this cycle if I can't break 172...
If you're non-URM, even a 180 wouldn't give you a shot at Harvard. Don't pay any attention to lawschoolpredictor. It's less than worthless for splitters.

mysteryprincess

New

Post by mysteryprincess » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 am

Ti Malice wrote:
mysteryprincess wrote:
hibiki wrote:
mysteryprincess wrote:
If you're non-URM, even a 180 wouldn't give you a shot at Harvard. Don't pay any attention to lawschoolpredictor. It's less than worthless for splitters.
Thanks for the advice, but as said, 180 would give me a chance nowhere near guaranteed ;P. I'd pretty much still have to significantly wow them/redeem myself. Anyways, any advice on target LSAT scores for Columbia/Duke/Penn? Those are high reach/dreams but definitely want to know opinions on what scores I'd need to have a good shot at them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”