Will undergraduate withdraws hurt my law school chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PhiladelphiaPatriot

New

Will undergraduate withdraws hurt my law school chances?

Post by PhiladelphiaPatriot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Hello All,

I am in my last year of undergraduate majoring in political science and economics and recently ran into a problem with a course I have this semester. The professor is the worst professor I have had in my 4 years of higher education. Since, at the moment, my GPA is 4.0 I do not want to risk getting my first B because my professor is awful. Thus, I am thinking about withdrawing from the course. This will be my third withdraw of my college career, but the first for this reason. The other two were for reasons outside of my control.

What does everyone think? Stick with the course or withdraw from it?

Thank you!

T14hoping

New

Re: Will undergraduate withdraws hurt my law school chances?

Post by T14hoping » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Dood it's September. Have you actually had any work graded?

Anywho, I can completely relate. I withdrew from a course 2 years ago for the same reasons. As long as it's just a "W" and not a "WF," it's not an issue. It doesn't sound like it's a pattern, so I wouldn't sweat it.

PhiladelphiaPatriot

New

Post by PhiladelphiaPatriot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes, we had our first quiz - it should have been the easiest economics quiz in terms of International Trade, however, the professor is, as I said, terrible. The entire class was on the verge of rioting. The man said two of the questions were supposed to be unanswerable - how that is possible I know not. Further, The graphs I created he said were 100% right but took off 10 points because the demand lines and price indicators were not spot on - even though it was not an information specific graph (i.e. there were no numbers or variables). So, to answer your question, yes we have had a quiz but I do not want to ruin my pristine GPA because of a very old professor who takes off "stinky points" because the answers are not to his EXACT specifications.

T14hoping

New

Post by T14hoping » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Yeah I'd say fuck that and bail. Definitely not worth that 4.0.

Hell, this early in the semester it might not even go on your transcript at all. Do you know if it will?

PhiladelphiaPatriot

New

Post by PhiladelphiaPatriot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Sadly, I had read on Ratemyprofessor.com that he was a terrible professor, however, from past experiences I've found that most bad reviews usually come from pissed of ex students so I did put much merit into this professors review. Monday was the last day to drop without anything going on my transcript. The quiz was Wednesday and I really thought I was going to ace the quiz so I thought I would risk it (especially because this is my last year and do not want to have to crunch in extra courses next semester or over the summer). Sadly, I was wrong. The reviews were, for the first time in my experience, completely correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:02 pm

T14hoping

New

Post by T14hoping » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 pm

PhiladelphiaPatriot wrote:Sadly, I had read on Ratemyprofessor.com that he was a terrible professor, however, from past experiences I've found that most bad reviews usually come from pissed of ex students so I did put much merit into this professors review. Monday was the last day to drop without anything going on my transcript. The quiz was Wednesday and I really thought I was going to ace the quiz so I thought I would risk it (especially because this is my last year and do not want to have to crunch in extra courses next semester or over the summer). Sadly, I was wrong. The reviews were, for the first time in my experience, completely correct.

Haha I know exactly what you mean. I was actually going to point you over to ratemyprofessor. Typically, I do take those reviews with a (large) grain of salt. If they have good reviews, that's great. If not, well I end up taking the class anyways. Usually it works out. It sucks that, in this case, your prof truly was a dud.

But no, the W won't hurt you. WFs are a different story entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”