Does graduate GPA count, if at all? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ivonmx

New

Does graduate GPA count, if at all?

Post by ivonmx » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 pm

I am an international student and my GPA is really low - 3.8 out of a 5 points scaling system (I am within 15% percentile though).
After my undergrad, I came to the states and did a M.S. in Computer Science, and the GPA is not bad (3.87 out of 4). So the question is dead simple, does my graduate GPA help my application portfolio? I heard most law school won't even look at the graduate GPA but since my undergrad is done outside of US will they actually assign more weight to my graduate GPA?

Thanks.

Yardbird

Silver

Re: Does graduate GPA count, if at all?

Post by Yardbird » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 pm

ivonmx wrote:does my graduate GPA help my application portfolio?
Not really

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 pm

ivonmx wrote:I am an international student and my GPA is really low - 3.8 out of a 5 points scaling system (I am within 15% percentile though).
After my undergrad, I came to the states and did a M.S. in Computer Science, and the GPA is not bad (3.87 out of 4). So the question is dead simple, does my graduate GPA help my application portfolio? I heard most law school won't even look at the graduate GPA but since my undergrad is done outside of US will they actually assign more weight to my graduate GPA?

Thanks.
Won't change your LSDAS GPA at all. Will be looked at as a mildly favorable soft factor for admissions purposes.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Doubtful; most graduate programs give out massively inflated GPAs. I think a poor Master's or PHD GPA is very rare

ivonmx

New

Post by ivonmx » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks all for your replies.. seems like getting a high LSAT score is my only way to go :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 am

What is your LSAC GPA? Have they calculated one for you, or are you getting a descriptor?

kylemba

New

Post by kylemba » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:34 pm

I have an MBA and when I submitted transcripts from that program it simply said "see transcripts" on the LSAC report.. so no it does absolutely nothing for your calculated GPA... however, it could help with admission from a diversity/ 'im mature enough to handle graduate level work' basis.

EllaLemry

New

Post by EllaLemry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:40 pm

I assume that, unless the school is really horrible, an MS in Computer Science isn't easy. That said it's a completely soft factor. I don't think it works for IP as a hard science degree but I imagine it works for electronic discovery and things like that.

It won't help your GPA. If you interest is IP based, it could be a nice addition to your application especially if you're undergrad degree was in hard science. It will not sub for you UG grades in any way. Down the road, it might help you land a job, though. The more hard science you have, the better chance for an IP fallback if all else fails (or if you love IP and that's what you want anyway).

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm

EllaLemry wrote:I don't think it works for IP as a hard science degree but I imagine it works for electronic discovery and things like that.
Why wouldn't it count?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Triveal wrote:
EllaLemry wrote:I don't think it works for IP as a hard science degree but I imagine it works for electronic discovery and things like that.
Why wouldn't it count?
A masters alone won't make the OP patent bar eligible.

EllaLemry

New

Post by EllaLemry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:46 pm

albanach wrote:
Triveal wrote:
Why wouldn't it count?
A masters alone won't make the OP patent bar eligible.
Gotcha. Good to know. Hopefully UG was hard science then. Either way, it isn't very relevant now, anyway. Good luck OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”