Medians Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tushbush

New

Medians

Post by Tushbush » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm

So the drop in lsat takers should reduce Medians at many schools for the 2013 incoming class right? Cause most of the schools I've read about have pretty much maintained or bettered there medians as of the 2012 incoming class.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Re: Medians

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm

Cool

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:58 pm

Tushbush wrote:So the drop in lsat takers should reduce Medians at many schools for the 2013 incoming class right? Cause most of the schools I've read about have pretty much maintained or bettered there medians as of the 2012 incoming class.

No. Because there are more suckers than spots still. Once that imbalance changes things might change. Remember also that some schools decreased the number of spots this last year.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Tushbush wrote:So the drop in lsat takers should reduce Medians at many schools for the 2013 incoming class right? Cause most of the schools I've read about have pretty much maintained or bettered there medians as of the 2012 incoming class.
Many law schools have cut class sizes.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Many law schools have cut class sizes.
And schools can take more splitters. In that case they don't even have to cut enrollment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tushbush

New

Post by Tushbush » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Ok. So the consensus as of 2 months ago is no longer valid? It seemed like everyone believed that medians were bound to be dropping across the board.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 pm

Tushbush wrote:Ok. So the consensus as of 2 months ago is no longer valid? It seemed like everyone believed that medians were bound to be dropping across the board.
Yes and no. Medians don't have to drop for there to be huge advantages for applicants. I can think of two:

1) People above both medians are now more rare commodities. Whereas in the past schools might have been able to reject some of these people, they probably have less flexibility to do so.

2) As I mentioned above, splitters may be in better shape. A 172 3.3, 170 3.85, and a 165 4.0 are just as good as three 170 3.85s. Whereas schools might have been less willing to accept the 172 3.3 and the 165 4.0 in the past, now they might be the only way for those schools to hit the medians.

TL;DR- the fact that medians haven't dropped doesn't necessarily mean that the cycle wasn't a good one for applicants. Then again, everything that I said above is just from anecdotal evidence, too.

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:41 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Tushbush wrote:Ok. So the consensus as of 2 months ago is no longer valid? It seemed like everyone believed that medians were bound to be dropping across the board.
Yes and no. Medians don't have to drop for there to be huge advantages for applicants. I can think of two:

1) People above both medians are now more rare commodities. Whereas in the past schools might have been able to reject some of these people, they probably have less flexibility to do so.

2) As I mentioned above, splitters may be in better shape. A 172 3.3, 170 3.85, and a 165 4.0 are just as good as three 170 3.85s. Whereas schools might have been less willing to accept the 172 3.3 and the 165 4.0 in the past, now they might be the only way for those schools to hit the medians.

TL;DR- the fact that medians haven't dropped doesn't necessarily mean that the cycle wasn't a good one for applicants. Then again, everything that I said above is just from anecdotal evidence, too.
+1

Additionally, smaller class sizes means less competition for jobs in the long run. That might not help you now, but you may be thankful for it come OCI time.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:03 pm

El_Gallo wrote:
Additionally, smaller class sizes means less competition for jobs in the long run. That might not help you now, but you may be thankful for it come OCI time.

I wish the cuts had happened last cycle. Actually a little jelly of the 2015ers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”