LOR Form? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abcde12345

Bronze

LOR Form?

Post by abcde12345 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 pm

I understand that I can only print an LOR form after I add a recommender. Should I add the recommender before I talk to him so I can provide the form that day, if the prof agrees? Or should I ask first to see if the prof agrees, then tell him I'll bring him the letter later?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Re: LOR Form?

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:54 pm

abcde12345 wrote:I understand that I can only print an LOR form after I add a recommender. Should I add the recommender before I talk to him so I can provide the form that day, if the prof agrees? Or should I ask first to see if the prof agrees, then tell him I'll bring him the letter later?
I'd have everything ready as a packet for him. If he says no, I think you can delete him from your list, and even if not, I don't think schools can see your list of recommenders

abcde12345

Bronze

Post by abcde12345 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:58 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:I understand that I can only print an LOR form after I add a recommender. Should I add the recommender before I talk to him so I can provide the form that day, if the prof agrees? Or should I ask first to see if the prof agrees, then tell him I'll bring him the letter later?
I'd have everything ready as a packet for him. If he says no, I think you can delete him from your list, and even if not, I don't think schools can see your list of recommenders
Thank you. That sounds reasonable to me--I didn't want to seem unprepared.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:12 am

Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I'll ask here: what should we include in the packet of stuff we give the recommender, besides the LOR letter itself? I think I saw a post about this once but can't find it.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:38 am

Paraflam wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I'll ask here: what should we include in the packet of stuff we give the recommender, besides the LOR letter itself? I think I saw a post about this once but can't find it.
What I put in the packet
1. Resume
2. Transcript and highlighted the course(s) that I took with him/her
3. Personal Statement(tentative)
4. Writing assignments in his/her class
5. LSAC Form
6. Stamped Envelope with the address to the LSAC

I think this is more than enough :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that some professors take forever.... :x

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 am

lovejopd wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Didn't want to make a new thread for this so I'll ask here: what should we include in the packet of stuff we give the recommender, besides the LOR letter itself? I think I saw a post about this once but can't find it.
What I put in the packet
1. Resume
2. Transcript and highlighted the course(s) that I took with him/her
3. Personal Statement(tentative)
4. Writing assignments in his/her class
5. LSAC Form
6. Stamped Envelope with the address to the LSAC

I think this is more than enough :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that some professors take forever.... :x
I used this list, sans the transcript and writing because I had just taken two courses with her last semester and am currently taking two, and the reaction I got was very positive.

She seemed to think it was outlandish that I would furnish a pre-stamped and addressed envelope, though :shock:

abcde12345

Bronze

Post by abcde12345 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Last edited by abcde12345 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm

I've never heard of a professor cosigning a letter, but I don't think it would make a difference. Almost all law schools and a lot of people on these boards say that a a TA LOR is much preferable to a lukewarm letter from a prof that doesn't know you. A signature from said prof is probably not very valuable, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”