What's the deal with NYU apparently averaging LSATS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ImTheWiz

New

What's the deal with NYU apparently averaging LSATS?

Post by ImTheWiz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:57 am

TLS wisdom has made me pretty confident in my chances with my recent 173, but I've been hearing more and more that NYU takes all scores into consideration...

What effect will my 167 from a year ago really have? I find it hard to believe that this whole averaging schpeal is anything more than an attempt by NYU at being a bit more holistic (seeing as USNWR medians only take into account one's highest score)...

Am I wrong?

indigomachine

Bronze

Re: What's the deal with NYU apparently averaging LSATS?

Post by indigomachine » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 am

ImTheWiz wrote:TLS wisdom has made me pretty confident in my chances with my recent 173, but I've been hearing more and more that NYU takes all scores into consideration...

What effect will my 167 from a year ago really have? I find it hard to believe that this whole averaging schpeal is anything more than an attempt by NYU at being a bit more holistic (seeing as USNWR medians only take into account one's highest score)...

Am I wrong?
From what seems to have gone around the forums anecdotally, it looks like NYU 'sometimes' averages. I think a while back in my cycle, someone (Jam?) posted about how the previous cycle (so, 2 cycles ago), people with otherwise good #'s who seemed like straight admits had been WL or WL-->reject with the common factor being multiple LSATs.

That said, they definitely did not average my scores, but I also wrote a short addendum and don't know what other 'softs' played a role in my admissions decision (preemptive lol to NYU caring about softs).

Hope that helps!

ImTheWiz

New

Post by ImTheWiz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 am

indigomachine wrote:
ImTheWiz wrote:TLS wisdom has made me pretty confident in my chances with my recent 173, but I've been hearing more and more that NYU takes all scores into consideration...

Am I wrong?
From what seems to have gone around the forums anecdotally, it looks like NYU 'sometimes' averages. I think a while back in my cycle, someone (Jam?) posted about how the previous cycle (so, 2 cycles ago), people with otherwise good #'s who seemed like straight admits had been WL or WL-->reject with the common factor being multiple LSATs.

That said, they definitely did not average my scores, but I also wrote a short addendum and don't know what other 'softs' played a role in my admissions decision (preemptive lol to NYU caring about softs).

Hope that helps!
Gotcha, thanks, definitely helps.

I checked out your profile -- did you do anything special to earn that NYU ED scholly money, or were they just feeling particularly generous?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 am

Averaging is an elaborate flame designed to make applicants think schools evaluate applications holistically.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:47 am

soj wrote:Averaging is an elaborate flame designed to make applicants think schools evaluate applications holistically.
this. Plus any residual effect from when USNWR gave a shit about average scores has been largely mitigated, even more so by the declining number of applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:03 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
soj wrote:Averaging is an elaborate flame designed to make applicants think schools evaluate applications holistically.
this. Plus any residual effect from when USNWR gave a shit about average scores has been largely mitigated, even more so by the declining number of applicants.
This. NYU probably stopped occasionally averaging once the number of applicants began to decrease.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 pm

ImTheWiz wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

Am I wrong?

Hope that helps!
Gotcha, thanks, definitely helps.

I checked out your profile -- did you do anything special to earn that NYU ED scholly money, or were they just feeling particularly generous?
I appealed on the basis of need, but I also have another friend (one of the only other ED people I actually know personally) who also got aid right off the bat. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine when people claim that ED = no aid. ED = no negotiation, which definitely plays a role in whether or not you end up with aid, but the two are not equivalent. I've mentioned this in other posts, but I think part of this misconception comes from ED applicants typically being borderline candidates who wouldn't have gotten aid under RD anyways.

I'm guessing other posters on here are right about NYU not averaging anymore (or at least not often), but I'm also paranoid with this stuff and if it were me, I wouldn't totally rule it out as a factor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”