Should I add a second major to my undergrad in History? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kidramsees

New

Should I add a second major to my undergrad in History?

Post by kidramsees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Currently I am an undergrad heading into my 3rd year majoring in History - had a 3.5 GPA and now with the inclusion on my Bio class, it's now down to a 3.4. :( Hopefully it'll bounce back up.

So let me get to the point. I'm really interested in adding Environmental Science (BA) into my major, because 1 - it'll be something interesting and fun if I do decide to get a masters in Geology, but 2 - because I'm mainly contemplating on adding the major because it'll provide a safety net if I decide later on law school isn't for me and I won't be swimming in debt. Law school, however, is my number 1 priority, but I don't get into a Top 14 or similar caliber, then I suppose I'd do something else.

As for the environmental sci program - we're required to take 2 quarters of calculus, 3 quarters of chemistry, and the rest and basically some environmental sci classes.
http://ess.uci.edu/undergrad/ba/requirements

Anyway - I just feel those extra classes will add to my benefit to diversify, and like I said, will provide some protection. Currently, at my school, logic counts as a math class and I have no real math (like calc or stats) on my transcript.

So let me get back to my point. I recently took bio sci and I got a C- (making my gpa a 3.4) :cry: . If I decide to add ES to my major too, that'll take a total of 5 years to graduate with a who-knows-what GPA/LSAT + extra loans to take out. I love the subject though.

If I stay in History, I can kinda project what my GPA might be, study well for the LSAT/class, but feel I'm only limited to teaching, law school, or grad school. I'll have what I currently hold at an internship as an International Business Intern - mainly doing audits, background checks, etc., and as club president spearheading but feel it's not as sufficient in the real world as I do not enjoy working in a cubicle.

So the question is, should I drop my efforts to pursue a second major because of it being based on fear of the real world in the office cubicle? Or should I continue. I really do want to go to law school first and foremost, but with a lot of talks, I remain skeptical of things like that happening. Thoughts/honest opinions are much appreciated. :D

kidramsees

New

Re: Should I add a second major to my undergrad in History?

Post by kidramsees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Note:

I have an interesting background and I'm not sure if it helps at all. But based on me alone, I grew up and currently live in poverty, my mother has Parkinson's Disease where I constantly try and provide care for her, my father had passed away as of late last year and that provided me much inspiration, although with much sadness, to do well in school - got straight A's fall and winter.

Currently, I'm at a paid internship that I use for experience and the money to help out my mother with living/care costs. I'm not what you call an URM, since I don't think Vietnamese counts.

I'm not sure if that'll build a compelling case, or even, might be germane to the issue of going to law school if I get my act together before it's way too late.
Last edited by kidramsees on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 pm

If it would take extra time anyway, can you do the ES degree classes after you complete your history degree? IIRC, your LSAC GPA is calculated only using the classes you took up to the earning of your first bachelor's degree. So, if you pushed off the harder math and science classes until after you finish the history degree, I believe those classes won't count towards your LSAC GPA. You'll want to double check on that though.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:27 pm

kidramsees wrote:Note:

I have an interesting background and I'm not sure if it helps at all. But based on me alone, I grew up and currently live in poverty, my mother has Parkinson's Disease where I constantly try and provide care for her, my father had passed away as of late last year and that provided me much inspiration, although with much sadness, to do well in school - got straight A's fall and winter.

Currently, I'm at a paid internship that I use for experience and the money to help out my mother with living/care costs. I'm not what you call an URM, since I don't think Vietnamese counts.

I'm not sure if that'll build a compelling case, or even, might be germane to the issue of going to law school if I get my act together before it's way too late.
If you write a PS about it, that can definitely help you overperform your numbers. It won't get you into YSH, but with a good LSAT score, it could help you get into CCN.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm

What range do you foresee your solo-history degree getting you? You'll want to be pretty close to a 3.7 to have a reliable shot at the T14. I'd hold off on the second major if you are serious about law school because it seems like it's going to hurt your GPA more than help and it won't do anything for your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TopHatToad

New

Post by TopHatToad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:33 pm

You say you really want to go to law school "first and foremost" but the bulk of your post is describing why you want to hedge your bet. If LS is really the goal, adding a major that'll likely drop your GPA is obviously a terrible idea.

OP, add the major if that's what you enjoy, but you bear the added responsibility of keeping up the hard science grades. Your gpa is decent for LS, and if you put the legwork into the LSAT, T14 is very much in sight. Food for thought.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Take whatever you can get all A's in for the next two years if you are dead set on law school. If not, take something practical.

kidramsees

New

Post by kidramsees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Samara wrote:If it would take extra time anyway, can you do the ES degree classes after you complete your history degree? IIRC, your LSAC GPA is calculated only using the classes you took up to the earning of your first bachelor's degree. So, if you pushed off the harder math and science classes until after you finish the history degree, I believe those classes won't count towards your LSAC GPA. You'll want to double check on that though.

Although that's a wonderful strategy and would definitely pursue that route, my school doesn't allow that. School policy says:
"I may not graduate with one major and later return to complete the other. Instead, I must complete requirements for both majors by
the end of the quarter in which I apply for graduation. Further, to graduate with one major alone, I must formally drop the one that is
not yet complete, and I will not later be readmitted to complete a second degree in the major I have dropped."

Any further insights/suggestions? And thanks for the advice. Your comments are a boost in confidence - CCN is definitely a good outlook - if I keep a good upward trend of excellent grades + good LSAT that is.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 pm

kidramsees wrote:
Samara wrote:If it would take extra time anyway, can you do the ES degree classes after you complete your history degree? IIRC, your LSAC GPA is calculated only using the classes you took up to the earning of your first bachelor's degree. So, if you pushed off the harder math and science classes until after you finish the history degree, I believe those classes won't count towards your LSAC GPA. You'll want to double check on that though.

Although that's a wonderful strategy and would definitely pursue that route, my school doesn't allow that. School policy says:
"I may not graduate with one major and later return to complete the other. Instead, I must complete requirements for both majors by
the end of the quarter in which I apply for graduation. Further, to graduate with one major alone, I must formally drop the one that is
not yet complete, and I will not later be readmitted to complete a second degree in the major I have dropped."

Any further insights/suggestions? And thanks for the advice. Your comments are a boost in confidence - CCN is definitely a good outlook - if I keep a good upward trend of excellent grades + good LSAT that is.
Huh, is that a typical policy?

Anyhoo, have you taken a practice LSAT yet? Have you done research on what a lawyer actually does? On what biglaw layers do? Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to commit to one or the other. If law school, take the easiest classes you can and don't add the second major.

I don't really know when this "safety net" would kick in. When are you planning to decide whether or not law school is for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

A BA in environmental science doesn't sound that practical to me.

kidramsees

New

Post by kidramsees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:55 pm

soj wrote:A BA in environmental science doesn't sound that practical to me.
Well I see it as it opening more doors to say med school or grad school like say in Geology or something.

PaulKriske

Bronze

Post by PaulKriske » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 pm

kidramsees wrote:
soj wrote:A BA in environmental science doesn't sound that practical to me.
Well I see it as it opening more doors to say med school or grad school like say in Geology or something.

comparing one shit major to another does not help.

kidramsees

New

Post by kidramsees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Seems like the consensus is to drop my pursuit in the second major and just focus on what I enjoy as my major alone - History - and work my best toward Law School.

Thanks for the input.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PaulKriske

Bronze

Post by PaulKriske » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:03 pm

kidramsees wrote:Seems like the consensus is to drop my pursuit in the second major and just focus on what I enjoy as my major alone - History - and work my best toward Law School.

Thanks for the input.

meh, putting all of your eggs in one risky basket is not necessarily the move. would you/could you pursue history further?

kidramsees

New

Post by kidramsees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:07 pm

PaulKriske wrote:
kidramsees wrote:Seems like the consensus is to drop my pursuit in the second major and just focus on what I enjoy as my major alone - History - and work my best toward Law School.

Thanks for the input.

meh, putting all of your eggs in one risky basket is not necessarily the move. would you/could you pursue history further?
Yeah, I know what you mean - that's why I was contemplating on adding that second major to at least diversify what kind of classes I'm taking - like say calculus to take the GMAT for an MBA (as another precaution). Ideally, however, law is number 1. Only thing that's stopping me is that if it ain't T14, or at least T30, then law school ain't worth it.

Anyway, yeah, I'd be interested in a masters/phd in history or something similar.

TopHatToad

New

Post by TopHatToad » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:25 pm

kidramsees wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean - that's why I was contemplating on adding that second major to at least diversify what kind of classes I'm taking - like say calculus to take the GMAT for an MBA (as another precaution). Ideally, however, law is number 1. Only thing that's stopping me is that if it ain't T14, or at least T30, then law school ain't worth it.

Anyway, yeah, I'd be interested in a masters/phd in history or something similar.
Totally understandable- you see law school as the risky uncertainty it is, and I applaud you for seeing early. Taking a second major will be detrimental to your gpa, or at the very least be an added burden you don't need. Here's what I suggest: take a practice LSAT. Unless you're a crazy outlier, almost everyone can improve 10 points from their first PT, and many people have done far better. With that under your belt, maybe you'll have a better idea of your chances for law school. Also, try to find people who can talk to you about the Biglaw experience.

kidramsees

New

Post by kidramsees » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:44 am

TopHatToad wrote:
kidramsees wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean - that's why I was contemplating on adding that second major to at least diversify what kind of classes I'm taking - like say calculus to take the GMAT for an MBA (as another precaution). Ideally, however, law is number 1. Only thing that's stopping me is that if it ain't T14, or at least T30, then law school ain't worth it.

Totally understandable- you see law school as the risky uncertainty it is, and I applaud you for seeing early. Taking a second major will be detrimental to your gpa, or at the very least be an added burden you don't need. Here's what I suggest: take a practice LSAT. Unless you're a crazy outlier, almost everyone can improve 10 points from their first PT, and many people have done far better. With that under your belt, maybe you'll have a better idea of your chances for law school. Also, try to find people who can talk to you about the Biglaw experience.

You mean take a practice LSAT naked - without any preparation? I suppose that's a good way to test the waters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TopHatToad

New

Post by TopHatToad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 am

kidramsees wrote:You mean take a practice LSAT naked - without any preparation? I suppose that's a good way to test the waters.
Haha I usually use the term blind, but I suppose naked brings up all the right feelings of vulnerability. Big companies (Kaplan and TPR in my area) offer free proctored LSATs for just this purpose, go check it out.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:54 am

Your major in college doesn't matter unless it's some science/engineering you might need for IP. Otherwise people don't care. -- that is meant in terms of jobs, not admissions. Law schools don't care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”