W's on trascript Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
andreasmommy

New

W's on trascript

Post by andreasmommy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:29 pm

I saw a post linking to a page where it discussed if your school calculates your W's as a zero or does not calculate your W's as anything. If someone can please direct me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it

MarvinsRoom

New

Re: W's on trascript

Post by MarvinsRoom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 pm

I believe W's are not counted on G.P.A. But then again, I never had W's on my transcript so I'm not 100% sure. If they're not factored in the G.P.A., a consistent trend of W's might raise some eyebrows in admissions. If that's your situation, then write an addendum explaining that trend. Best of LUCK TO YOU! :)

meshugaat

New

Post by meshugaat » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:49 pm

MarvinsRoom wrote:a consistent trend of W's might raise some eyebrows in admissions. If that's your situation, then write an addendum explaining that trend.
If there isn't a consistent trend in W's, but rather a good number of sporadic ones, is that something that should be explained in an addendum?

I've had to withdrawal from a number of classes due to a sudden increase in military obligations or deployments at various times throughout the past five years. I don't want to unnecessarily submit an addendum, but don't want to seem questionable either.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:01 pm

I believe it depends on the breed of W. W's are not counted into one's LSAC GPA, but WF's are converted to F's. There might be (but aren't necessarily) additional factors contingent upon your UG's policies.

And, FWIW, I had an obscene amount of W's on my UG transcript. None of them were counted into my LSAC GPA.

andreasmommy

New

Post by andreasmommy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:16 pm

It is just 2 W's. One from the first year of college and one from the last year of college. How do I know if W's are non-punitive? The link someone had posted showed schools that counted W's as punitive, and schools that counted them as non-punitive when calculating the LSDAS GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:19 pm

andreasmommy wrote:It is just 2 W's. One from the first year of college and one from the last year of college. How do I know if W's are non-punitive? The link someone had posted showed schools that counted W's as punitive, and schools that counted them as non-punitive when calculating the LSDAS GPA.
You know when you submit to LSAC and they calculate your LSDAS GPA. It's not like you can change how they view them, you're just going to have to deal with whatever your GPA ends up being. I've never heard of a W actually being converted into an F (I had a W and it was fine) so I wouldn't stress about it too much, especially since you can't control it.

andreasmommy

New

Post by andreasmommy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 pm

What is the recommended time to submit one's transcripts to LSAC?

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:26 pm

meshugaat wrote:
MarvinsRoom wrote:a consistent trend of W's might raise some eyebrows in admissions. If that's your situation, then write an addendum explaining that trend.
If there isn't a consistent trend in W's, but rather a good number of sporadic ones, is that something that should be explained in an addendum?

I've had to withdrawal from a number of classes due to a sudden increase in military obligations or deployments at various times throughout the past five years. I don't want to unnecessarily submit an addendum, but don't want to seem questionable either.
No. I had like 5 or 6 for no reason and no schools cared. I still performed as my numbers indicated I would.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”