Resume Question - Active Duty Military Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meshugaat

New

Resume Question - Active Duty Military

Post by meshugaat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:14 am

I'm serving on active duty in the Air Force and going to school on my off duty time to finish my degree. I've read that if you're academic experience has been more recent than your work experience, you list academic first on your resume. Conversely, if you've been out of school for a while, it's better to emphasize your work experience first.

My UG institution is less than awesome on account of being stationed overseas and working full time, so in my case, would it be acceptable to emphasize military experience first and list academic second? Or does it really even matter to the adcoms?

Thanks!

Ozymandias

Bronze

Re: Resume Question - Active Duty Military

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:19 am

I almost always see education listed first on law schools admissions and legal employment resumes. It really doesn't matter, though. If you'd rather highlight experience, put it first.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 am

I have my academic experience first on my resume because it is basically two lines and would likely get lost if I put it at the back of my military time line stuff.

You can really go either way with it.

Here are links to a couple military threads as well.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=187630

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=170257

meshugaat

New

Post by meshugaat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:03 am

JCFindley wrote:I have my academic experience first on my resume because it is basically two lines and would likely get lost if I put it at the back of my military time line stuff.
How did you organize your military experience on there specifically? I haven't seen a really great example of the military section on a resume for law school apps. Any advice on that?

Thanks for the links! :)

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:38 am

meshugaat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I have my academic experience first on my resume because it is basically two lines and would likely get lost if I put it at the back of my military time line stuff.
How did you organize your military experience on there specifically? I haven't seen a really great example of the military section on a resume for law school apps. Any advice on that?

Thanks for the links! :)
In my resumes (both for admissions and for my legal employment), I normally structure my Military Experience in this way

Code: Select all

Military Service
United States Air Force, 2002–2006
Highest Rank Held: .....
Honors: ......
Duty Assignments
      [Position Title], [Command's Name], [Dates]
      Description of assignment using similar style as EPR bullets (but not in bullet list).

[repeat for next assignment]
If you want, I can PM you a link to my current resume, and you can see if you like the format or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meshugaat

New

Post by meshugaat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 am

meshugaat wrote:If you want, I can PM you a link to my current resume, and you can see if you like the format or not.
That would be great, thanks.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 am

meshugaat wrote:
meshugaat wrote:If you want, I can PM you a link to my current resume, and you can see if you like the format or not.
That would be great, thanks.
PM me an email address and I will send you mine as well. You can at least see a couple of examples.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”