Law School Death Watch site--is this for real?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WannabeeLawyer

New

Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Post by WannabeeLawyer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 am

http://lawschooldeathwatch.blogspot.com

What are the chances these schools will be closing? I would like to be a lawyer, but this is a little scary.

Any advice for me?

drmguy

Silver

Re: Law School Death Watch site--is this for real??

Post by drmguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:37 am

WannabeeLawyer wrote:http://lawschooldeathwatch.blogspot.com

What are the chances these schools will be closing? I would like to be a lawyer, but this is a little scary.

Any advice for me?
If you want to be a lawyer, then you should not be going to any of these schools.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 am

drmguy wrote:

Any advice for me?
If you want to be a lawyer, then you should not be going to any of these schools.
This!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:52 am

It's interesting to peruse the faculty bios at these & other Tier Four law schools. Some faculty have amazing backgrounds while others are products of the Tier Four itself.

lnoy

New

Post by lnoy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:57 am

Any advice for me?

Just don't go to any of these schools. But also lets not forget that this is just a blog.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am

The author's evidence is nothing more than a link to LST.

His point that low enrollment might lead to some schools closing is fair but it remains to be seen and he clearly has no inside knowledge.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:43 am

They won't close (most anyways) they will just raise tuition prices on those who have no other option but attend. The majority of people who would attend a 4th Tier law or CBE type law school would also do so at twice the average tuition rate. Desperation plus Hubris is an evil cocktail for those who consume it. Capitalism at it's prime example.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:49 am

I love how Cooley didn't even make the list

With a 5 campuses in two states (and plans to expand even more) that beast will never die.

I expect a campus in half of the states by the end of the decade. If anyone can get the ABA to get law school allowed online, expect it to be Cooley, the UOP of law schools by 2025 I bet.
Last edited by jurisx on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:50 am

jurisx wrote:I love how Cooley didn't even make the list
Maybe cuz it has their own ranking. Or because of its multiple locations and library

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:51 am

northwood wrote:
Maybe cuz it has their own ranking. Or because of its multiple locations and library
which has zero to do with the private list in question huh?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:54 am

jurisx wrote:They won't close (most anyways) they will just raise tuition prices on those who have no other option but attend.
Everyone has an option not to attend. That's what brought these schools to lowered enrollment in the first place. Raising costs are already reducing demands on this bad investment.
The majority of people who would attend a 4th Tier law or CBE type law school would also do so at twice the average tuition rate.
The fact that enrollment and applications are down seems to contradict this.
Desperation plus Hubris is an evil cocktail for those who consume it. Capitalism at it's prime example.
That just doesn't even make sense. Capitalism will lead to reduced demand of useless goods and services.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 pm

jurisx wrote:
northwood wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was a joke, hoss.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 pm

People still buy overpriced crack. People still get online PhD's and MBA's (wow, I know, but they do it)
Talk to a 4th Tier law student some time, they will tell you how they are a diamond in the rough and no one gets it yet (etc,etc) The schools (minus cooley) may shrink a bit, but most will stay around. Some (like cooley) will even grow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
jurisx wrote:
northwood wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was a joke, hoss.
weak jokes come from weak minds

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Any advice for me?
Yes, here it is: Don't trust random bloggers to know jack.

There, hope it helped.

PS
If you do trust it, then go to Cooley or Taft. I didn't see either of them listed on it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:08 pm

jurisx wrote:People still buy overpriced crack. People still get online PhD's and MBA's (wow, I know, but they do it)
Talk to a 4th Tier law student some time, they will tell you how they are a diamond in the rough and no one gets it yet (etc,etc) The schools (minus cooley) may shrink a bit, but most will stay around. Some (like cooley) will even grow.
Housing prices will only ever go up.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 pm

jurisx wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: I'm pretty sure it was a joke, hoss.
You seem like a real peach. Maybe you're just mad you were too dumb to notice a Cooley joke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chippa

New

Post by chippa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 pm

IAFG wrote:
jurisx wrote:They won't close (most anyways) they will just raise tuition prices on those who have no other option but attend.
Everyone has an option not to attend. That's what brought these schools to lowered enrollment in the first place. Raising costs are already reducing demands on this bad investment.
The majority of people who would attend a 4th Tier law or CBE type law school would also do so at twice the average tuition rate.
Desperation plus Hubris is an evil cocktail for those who consume it. Capitalism at it's prime example.
That just doesn't even make sense. Capitalism will lead to reduced demand of useless goods and services.
Agree with IAFG.
Right before the housing bubble popped people would pay ridiculous amounts for homes. Then once the bubble popped, well you know what happened. Anyways "bubbles" don't pop automatically. They take a while. And the legal education/law student loan bubble is going to pop (and so are many law schools). It is just going to take a while because there are so many special snowflakes. Capitalism will actually fix the problem, but it is not going to be pretty (we are already starting to see that).

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
jurisx wrote:People still buy overpriced crack. People still get online PhD's and MBA's (wow, I know, but they do it)
Housing prices will only ever go up.
but houses did not go away did they? Did some move into campers in their parents back yard? Sure. But new ones being built even to this day.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
jurisx wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: I'm pretty sure it was a joke, hoss.
You seem like a real peach. Maybe you're just mad you were too dumb to notice a Cooley joke.
saw words on a screen, didn't see any joke.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 pm

chippa wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Agree with IAFG.
Right before the housing bubble popped people would pay ridiculous amounts for homes. Then once the bubble popped, well you know what happened. Anyways "bubbles" don't pop automatically. They take a while. And the legal education/law student loan bubble is going to pop (and so are many law schools). It is just going to take a while because there are so many special snowflakes. Capitalism will actually fix the problem, but it is not going to be pretty (we are already starting to see that).
And yet you can live anywhere. You need a degree to practice. The only way the tuition bubble will pop is if people offer a cheaper alternative. If that is the pop, then the cheaper alternative will of course be the lower tier law schools that offer free rides at a 150 lsat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AC Vegas

New

Post by AC Vegas » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:21 pm

What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 pm

AC Vegas wrote:What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?
with one post to his name-yes. 100%

WannabeeLawyer

New

Post by WannabeeLawyer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:26 pm

jurisx wrote:
AC Vegas wrote:What are the odds this thread wasn't created by the guy who made that site looking to get traffic to his stupid redundant no-news blog?
with one post to his name-yes. 100%
hey, sorry, but I am just trying to figure out what to do with my life. I cannot get any kind of work except retail. I need something here. Help me out, man.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm

This blog is awful. It just reports lst data and calls it news.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”