LoR Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whippersnappery

Bronze

LoR Question

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 pm

So, in my haste, I asked four people to write me LoRs, but now that I am doing more research, that is too many for most schools. Is sending four bad? Can I have them all sent to LSAC and keep one as backup if I get WLed somewhere?

Nova

Platinum

Re: LoR Question

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Get them all sent to LSAC, and then you can choose which ones go to which schools.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 pm

LSAC lets you submit a maximum of four LORs, but you don't have to submit them all right now if you don't want to. I submitted all four of mine at once during my cycle--which according to many TLSers is a bad idea. I had positive results, so I dno. But, they aren't automatically sent to the schools you're applying to. You have to assign them. I ended up sending an extra LOR to a school I was WL'd at, which meant they had 5 LORs ...so if you don't think you can get more LORs, I'd hold off on submitting all four right now. But, in my experience nothing negative happened because I submitted more than other applicants traditionally do.

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 pm

That´s good to hear. Follow up question: three of the recommenders are professors, the other is my debate coach (my team is currently ranked top-10 in the US, and I´ve held leadership positions on the team). Is that an appropriate letter to submit as the third (holding off one of the professors for a backup), or should I submit the three academic letters and hold off the coach letter?

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

whippersnappery wrote:That´s good to hear. Follow up question: three of the recommenders are professors, the other is my debate coach (my team is currently ranked top-10 in the US, and I´ve held leadership positions on the team). Is that an appropriate letter to submit as the third (holding off one of the professors for a backup), or should I submit the three academic letters and hold off the coach letter?
Two academic and the coach are my choice for the first three.

Do you have any work experience? Any internship involvement? Schools are looking to admit students with more WE so a letter from one of those sources would be advantageous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”